Tiffany Brown's Reviews > Earthdream: The Marriage of Reason and Intuition

4207160
Feb 15, 2011

bookshelves: most-influential
Read from March 02 to 21, 2011

“It is only through mystery and madness that the soul is revealed.” –Thomas Moore

I chose this quote to prelude my review because it suites this work, almost as if Thomas Moore had been writing about Robert Hamilton’s book “Earthdream” himself. Or maybe Robert Hamilton was writing this book based on Thomas Moore’s theory.

In his book Earthdream, Robert Hamilton, in his own words, “questions and challenges the legitimacy of the division the world requires of perception as well as interrogating some of our most deeply engrained and cherished preconceptions of reality.” This book is not for the quaint of mind. Robert inflicts a shift of focus to the perception that I can only describe as like waking from a dream. Just as dreams bridge the psychological and physiological aspects of life allegorically as well as divinatorily, this book transpires for the reader a “totality of continuously transforming possibility” between logic and intuition.

“When we are dreaming alone it is only a dream. When we are dreaming with others, it is the beginning of reality.” –Dom Helder Camara

According to Webster’s Dictionary, dreams are a visionary creation of the imagination. Earthdream invoked in me the deepest of emotions while at the same time allowing me to perceive the limits of my own perceptions. With understanding comes a responsibility to ourselves to stop living on the surface of life. A great example of this is from Lewis Carroll’s Alice and Wonderland.

“Alice came to a fork in the road “Which road do I take?” she asked. “Where do you want to go?” responded the Cheshire cat. “I don’t know,” Alice answered. “Then,” said the cat, “it doesn’t matter.”

Just as in the quote above, most of us don’t know where we want to go. We know we want to go somewhere, we are just not sure of the path, mostly because we have never stopped to ask ourselves the very simplest of questions. “Where do you want to go?” Earthdream, just like the Cheshire cat in the above passage poses this very question to the reader. An answer is limited to the question that is asked of it. Earthdream leads the reader to the path after that it is up to the reader to lose their way and find their journey.

“Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they sought.” –Matsuo Basho

This quote in itself is the very essence of Earthdream. If you are looking for easy answers you will not find it in this book, but if you are looking for a way to develop a suiting philosophy for your life then I highly recommend this book.

The writer has a very loquacious vocabulary which I found refreshing in a world of slang and jargon. I think one aspect that impresses me the most is that it was written 20 years ago. 20 years ago Robert Hamilton had enough insight into his very being to blow his own preconceived notions of the water and open up his mind to possibility. The subject of his discussions are still very real and taxing on our society today, maybe even more so than they were 20 years ago. With ideas such as “A fundamental pattern is as inseparable from this sea of virtual energy as a whirlpool is from its sea of water,” Bob paints a beautiful canvas of script for the reader by a very marvelously brilliant use of metaphorical prose.

By reinforcing the idea of playing life for the purpose of continuous play, cited from what I would guess to be, one of the most influential benefactors of his work “Finite and Infinite Games” by James Carse; Robert Hamilton negotiates ideas such as repression of feeling, reflections of perception, the magic of life, and an order of needs throughout ones fundamental nature of being.

I am giving this book 5 stars!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Earthdream.

Quotes Tiffany Liked

Bob  Hamilton
“In its quest to discover how the patterns of reality are organised, the story of modern science hints at a picture of a set of Chinese puzzle boxes, each one more intricately structured and wondrous than the last. Every time the final box appears to have been reached, a key has been found which has opened up another, revealing a new universe even more breathtakingly improbable in its conception. We are now forced to suspect that, for human reason, there is no last box, that in some deeply mysterious, virtually unfathomable, self-reflective way, every time we open a still smaller box, we are actually being brought closer to the box with which we started, the box which contains our own conscious experience of the world. This is why no theory of knowledge, no epistemology, can ever escape being consumed by its own self-generated paradoxes. And this is why we must consider the universe to be irredeemably mystical.”
Bob Hamilton, Earthdream: The Marriage of Reason and Intuition