Jaron's Reviews > The Dawn Patrol

M 50x66
Feb 15, 2011

liked it
Read from February 27 to March 07, 2011

I picked this book up because I had read Winslow's "Cool Breeze on the Underground" years ago and really enjoyed it. I also wanted to read something fairly undemanding -- I was in the mood for a good action adventure novel. Well, I didn't get exactly what I was looking for...

...First, there was 150 pages of slow-moving, backstory-heavy writing. It wasn't compelling, the surf-guy narrator was tough to get used to, and I was tempted several times to put it down. If I hadn't enjoyed the other book I'd read of Winslow's, I probably would have given up. Then, around the middle of the book, the action really took off.

There was a solid 100-page chunk of what I was looking for in the first place -- action, adventure, mystery, even a little bit of suspenseful courtroom drama. All of a sudden I couldn't put it down.

Then, there was the ending, which was really very dark and disturbing, and unpleasantly jarring. For me, the slow start wasn't a problem, but the ending was really kind of hard to take. Up until the last 50 pages, I was thinking it was a four-star book, so I was a little let down.

Even so, I will give Winslow another try. I do like the way he wove the plot around the incoming monster wave, and the backstory-heavy first portion of the book ended up being very relevant to the action toward the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dawn Patrol.