Fabian's Reviews > Me Talk Pretty One Day

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

it was ok

A reviewer was correct when he said: "Sedaris can turn a rant into a thing of beauty." (Michael Upchurch-Seattle Times) But only correct about the noun/verb "rant." That he does in profusion; all these "essays" are rants about his life & times. But "Thing of beauty?" Absolutely not.

For a popular writer, Mr. Sedaris maintains that he is more important than anything else, anybody else, any other subject. He only looks at himself in situations and tells us his witty reactions/musings. Funny, a little, but it's actually like talking to someone adamant about taking nothing too seriously while displaying extreme sarcasm. I could not relate to a single thing this dude wrote about!

About his trips to France (just check this out): "There are plenty of places on Earth where Americans are greeted with enthusiasm. Unfortunately, these places tend to lack anything you'd really want to buy. & that, to me, is the only reason to leave home in the first place--to buy things."

Aggh! This All-American mentality: GROSS.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me Talk Pretty One Day.

February 15, 2011 – Started Reading
February 15, 2011 – Shelved
February 21, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Terri (new)

Terri I agree, tho I must admit that he is funny in person. I think it is the contrast between the flamboyent gay guy and his upbringing in hillbilly heaven. Don't want to read his books-just want to hear his stories when he tells them.

Fabian There is probably a huge difference between reading these and hearing them told by him. I guess with his book I saw just how desperate publishers get...

message 3: by Rossdavidh (new)

Rossdavidh I found his books hilarious, but then I actually listened to the audiobooks. I wonder if his style of tale just lends itself better to being heard?

Matthew I have found Sedaris to be hit or miss from story to story. I do enjoy listening to him read them.

message 5: by Greg (new)

Greg Fabian, nice review. I like Sedaris, but I don't think he ever topped "Naked."

Chris You should try the audio books. I think the heavy sarcasm comes through a lot better. He is mocking himself. At least I think (or hope) he is.

Chris I listened to Sedaris read this book and I think his narration causes you to take his writing the way he meant it. I think you are supposed to roll your eyes and laugh at how shallow he is. Everything revolves around him and that is a large part of the comedy. He roasts himself. At least that is how I took it.