RJ's Reviews > The Accidental Billionaires: Sex, Money, Betrayal and the Founding of Facebook

The Accidental Billionaires by Ben Mezrich

liked it

Hoping to keep a wary eye on the online exploits of my 13 year old daughter, I asked her if she would "friend" me on Instagram. She looked at me skeptically and said, "you should get Facebook - that's for old people." Ouch. This book by Ben Mezrich is theoretically about the founding of Facebook in 2004 on the campus of Harvard University, but mostly it's about how co-founder Mark Zuckerberg screwed over everyone involved in the company, and maybe everyone he ever met (allegedly). Wait, you're saying to yourself, didn't I see a movie about this a few years ago? Yes, this book was the basis for The Social Network directed by David "Se7en" Fincher and starring, you know, that kid from Zombieland as Zuckerberg. Author Mezrich specializes in pseudo-non-fiction books (see: "Bringing Down the House") which contain a large amount of hyberbole and very likely embellishments by "unnamed sources." Let's just say Woodward and Bernstein have nothing to fear here. Still, I continue to come back to Mezrich's books despite his numerous literary failings because the guy tells an amusing story, and some of it might even be true. Peeks into the lives of Harvard students and also into the Venture Capitalists of Silicon Valley are interesting, although it's frustrating that they weren't explored more thoroughly as they would have been by a New Yorker journalist like Susan Orlean (The Orchid Thief) or David Grann (The Lost City of Z). The interplay between the principals in the birth and rise of Facebook is also entertaining, sort of like watching reality show idiots squabble over various issues - except of course in this case billions of dollars are at stake. Cheap and tawdry, yet entertaining enough for a cross-country airplane trip - that's Mezrich's legacy in the publishing world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Accidental Billionaires.

December 28, 2015 – Shelved