Barb (Boxermommyreads)'s Reviews > A Criminal Magic

A Criminal Magic by Lee   Kelly

bookshelves: 2015

This is magic for grownups. I love the world Kelly created an her writing style made it easy to imagine actually being a part of this glamorous underworld. This book has it all, action, great characters, an interesting and unique magical system and a near-perfect ending.

The story is told from duel perspectives of Joan, who travels to DC in hopes of becoming part of an elite, yet still illegal, magical troupe and Alex, a law enforcement agent who has his own personal grudge to bear with the criminal underworld and all its lackeys. Both Joan and Alex walk a very thin rope between making morally sound decisions and getting caught up in the magical world which encompasses them. Kelly did a wonderful job of showing how Joan, a tremendously likable character, walks a fine line between doing the right thing and becoming engulfed in a highly glamorous and profitable world of magic. It is also especially interesting that in this life, magic can be used to produce a highly addictive after-product called "Shine" which takes over one's mind and produces a high unrivaled by anything else on the street.

I can't recommend enough that you pick up this book and become lost in its world. I believe it is a stand-alone novel, and that ending! I totally felt it could have ended one way and I would have been so pleased with the outcome, but then Kelly throws in so many twists in the last 50 or so pages of the book that I actually am happy to say she didn't take the expected way out. Preorder a copy now because even though I was provided a free galley from Booksparks and the publisher in exchange for an honest review, I HAVE to have my own copy sitting on my shelves! I am also grabbing a copy of her first book, City of Savages, the first chance I get.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Criminal Magic.

December 26, 2015 – Started Reading