Amanda Beguerie's Reviews > The Insatiable Quest for Beauty: A Young Woman's Guide to Overcoming Our Culture's Obsession with Perfection

The Insatiable Quest for Beauty by Tiffany Dawn

4/5 Stars.

The Insatiable Quest for Beauty was a worthwhile read for me. It addresses questions and problems we all face from time to time, regarding not feeling beautiful or valued and trying to find the answers to those questions in all different places, including in relationships, disordered eating, obsession with appearances, and more.

Cutting to the heart of the matter, Tiffany does not discredit wanting to look good at all. Looking good is a good thing, but only if it doesn’t become an obsession or addiction. If we go to destructive habits like dating toxic people for attention or trying to lose excessive weight when it’s totally unnecessary, it damages us.

Additionally, looking in the mirror and telling yourself “I’m beautiful” every day isn’t changing the problem. The issue is being so self-absorbed that you cannot think of anything else but yourself, whether positive or negative.

Tiffany makes the point that we must keep our eyes on God. We must look to Him to remind us that we are unconditionally loved, and not just physically attractive. We must take the focus off us ourselves and realize the One who truly matters – our Lord.

The Insatiable Quest for Beauty is about more than finding confidence within ourselves, but about being confident in how God sees us. He sees us as blameless and pure because of what Jesus did, and not because of what we do.

I don’t particularly struggle with my appearance, but it was a good read and I am glad that I read it.

The format and writing were not my favorite, but they did not take away from the content and impact of the book. If I were writing it, I would have done it differently. The “coffee date” style and the chapter organization, along with the broken-up format made it unique enough to stand out, and perhaps other people will like that aspect of it more than I did.

Lastly, I didn’t agree with completely everything that was said (more on a theological aspect than anything else), but the message of the book was definitely valuable enough for me to read the whole book and enjoy it.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own and I was not influenced in any way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Insatiable Quest for Beauty.

December 28, 2015 – Started Reading
December 28, 2015 –
page 45
26.95% "My review copy came in the mail!" (Other Paperback Edition)
December 28, 2015 – Shelved
December 28, 2015 –
page 45
22.5% "Review copy came in the mail!"
January 15, 2016 –