Emmanuelle Maupassant's Reviews > Best Women's Erotica of the Year, Volume 1

Best Women's Erotica of the Year, Volume 1 by Rachel Kramer Bussel

bookshelves: erotic-short-stories

I received an advance review copy of this edition, from the editor, Rachel Kramer Bussel.

Readers familiar with Rachel's erotic fiction anthologies know that they are guaranteed a rollercoaster ride. This edition certainly meets the mark, being not only skin-tinglingly exciting but diverse (across ages, ethnicities and writing styles). I read the collection within a weekend, eyes bulging and, inevitably, wobbly-legged: be warned!

'The Altar of Lamented Toys' left quite an impression: a cleverly-woven tale by Jessica Taylor, set in a post-apocalyptic world, in which sex toys once so beloved can no longer be charged. Paying homage to their transportational power, the story is both original and moving.

'Alvin's Night' by Elizabeth Coldwell is masterfully written: the work of an author who has long proven herself in command of her words. Here, we observe the power of the long tease, of role-play and power-play. Her dialogue is faultless; her details crystal shards of anticipation.

On the theme of allowing our desires free reign, there is Tiffany Reisz's 'The Assistant' in which our heroine attends a masked party and, safely behind her veil of anonymity, enters into an encounter more thrilling than she could have imagined:
'She found the prospect arousing, the thought of being passed back and forth between them' and 'Jack had warned her Lennon would be rougher with her than he was. But Jack hadn’t warned her it would feel this good. He was fucking her so hard now she could feel it in her stomach.'
However, she soon realises that she seeks not anonymity but more intimate connection, and her mask is, at last, lifted.

For those daring to enter the dark recesses of a sex dungeon, there is Rose Caraway's 'Carnalarium', in which all pleasure and pain awaits. Here, the true theme is not simply the lure of the forbidden but the agony of parting from a lover, allowing them to be free. Rose's tale explores the nature of 'possession' and of love.

J Crichton and H Keyes' 'Revisiting Youth', set in Tokyo, begins with an opening line commanding of attention: 'Aya went out that night looking to feel.' At first sight, the story is standard fare: an older woman on the prowl picks up two young men and takes them home to play. However, there are deeper themes swimming beneath: notably, how far our sense of emotional and intellectual self (and self-worth) is entwined with our sexual self, and our belief in our desirability. The story navigates smoothly towards its highly charged threesome, ending, at last, with the words: 'Adventures only stop happening when you stop looking for them.'

Ms. Kramer Bussel's own addition to the collection, 'Flying Solo' is both tender and sexually thrilling. We peek through the lens at a marriage, like most others, of mutual love and respect, except that, here, there is some extra spice in the mix. Our happy couple regularly invite a third person into their bed and, in doing so, enhance their understanding of (and admiration for) one another.

Also well-delivered is L. Marie Adeline's 'Matilda's Secret'. Again, we are invited to explore the theme of an older woman's sexual self-esteem, and the complexities of desire v. love. Recruiting men for S.E.C.R.E.T (an agency orchestrating women's sex fantasies) we glimpse 'behind the scenes'.

Another little gem in the anthology is Lazuli Jones' 'Starstruck': what happens when, as a mature woman, you meet your teenage celebrity crush, and he measures up to all those years of hero-worship…

Rachel KB has done an admirable job of collating stories which seek to explore unusual 'edges' within the genre: 'Enter Me' by Tabitha Rayne, is both tender and raw, her heroine redefining her sense of self on having lost her hearing; Dorothy Freed's 'Two Doms for Dinner' features men and a woman in their very much older years; Theda Hudson's 'Lighting the Pyre' tackles loss of sexual libido following cancer treatment; and Rose P Lethe's 'Out of the Ordinary' features a transgender protagonist.

Tara Betts' 'A New Canvas' is a poetic rendering, in which we can feel the artist's pen drawing upon our heroine's skin. Valerie Alexander 'Demimonde' is sexy vignette of a woman's secret fantasies, daring parlour games, and an illicit liaison in her carriage, in 19th century New York.
Jade A. Waters' 'Ophelia the Second' is a subtle journey through the attraction between actors on and off-stage, and Ria Restrepo's 'Restitution' offers a wonderful twist (no spoilers!).

So many stories, and perspectives, each awaiting the reader's own interpretation.

Take to your bed for the weekend, and snuggle down with this anthology.
Just remember that I warned you...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Best Women's Erotica of the Year, Volume 1.

December 28, 2015 – Shelved