Deane Barker's Reviews > Triggers: Creating Behavior That Lasts—Becoming the Person You Want to Be

Triggers by Marshall Goldsmith

liked it

This is one of those books which launches with a clear premise and then loses its way. The book is purportedly about "triggers," things in the environment that get in the way of you changing as a person.

Unfortunately, about halfway through, it became a standard-issue self-improvement book, and never did circle back to its original premise. That's not necessarily bad, mind you. The author is a motivational speaker and has a lot of experience to draw from, and a lot of good stories to tell.

So, the book got me thinking about triggers in my environment, but it didn't really expand on the topic much more. A better examination of this might be "The Power of Habit."

I bought this in the Detroit airport and read it during a three-hour layover. Quick read, not a bad book, but not one likely to change my life either.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Triggers.

Started Reading
December 28, 2015 – Shelved
December 28, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Nathan (new)

Nathan I just started reading the Power of Habit. Looks like it's going to be interesting.

Deane Barker Nathan wrote: "I just started reading the Power of Habit. Looks like it's going to be interesting."
I enjoyed that one. He does a nice job at the end of explaining a practical, step-by-step plan for changing bad habits. You don't see enough of that in the self-help genre.

message 3: by Nathan (new)

Nathan And BTW, I almost always hate self-help books. It's gotten so that I never read them anymore because the chances of me enjoying it are so slim.