Elizabeth's Reviews > The Testament

The Testament by John Grisham

Feb 15, 2011

it was ok

I'm going to write a review. I'm going to do it. Why? Personal reasons.
*ahem*
first of all, I feel like John Grisham tries too hard to make this book seem action packed and suspenseful, when really, it's very predictable, cliche and slow moving. You always know what's coming. I found myself only reading one chapter, then putting it down. Then coming back hours later, reading another chapter maybe two, then putting it down again, etc. It didn't hold much interest. The only reason I read it so fast is because a friend lent it to me, and I wanted to give it back as soon as I could.
The dialogue was bland, there was way too much legal jargon that no one cares about, his descriptions of scenes and people didn't really leave much to the imagination, and the plot was pretty weak. An old, reclusive, very rich man who hates everyone commits suicide in the lamest way possible and leaves his fortune to a long lost illegitimate daughter who's a missionary in some far away country, so a lawyer has to find her and give her the money. Big deal. And of course, it wouldn't be complete if the lawyer who has to find the Christian woman is a drunken, drug addicted slob whom she helps to find God and he is "reformed" simply because she taught him to say "Forgive me God. Kthnxbai" and your slate is wiped clean.
I guess that's all it takes nowadays.
And don't even get me started on her so-called "Christian teachings."
I think I only gave it two stars because it gave me something to do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Testament.

Finished Reading