Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin's Reviews > Arcadia

Arcadia by James Treadwell

Dec 28, 2015

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy-all, young-adult, netgalley-all

I feel like I just fell down the rabbit hole!

I liked this book well enough, but let me say there is a whole lot of crazy going on up in this book.

I don't usually read book three of a trilogy before reading the first two books, but I read this book was fine as a stand alone. And this is true, although I do want to go back and read the first two books just to see where it all started.

I only gave this three stars because there were things I loved and at times it dragged for me. If I was just rating it for other worldly, crazy stuff, then I would give it a 5 because it has all of that in a nutshell. I think I will read this again after the first two and see how it works for me a second time around. I hate rating books on partial things.

In this particular book you have Rory and he's ten years old. He lives on an island with his mum and other women. There is one other boy but things don't work out so well for him. They all have to ration not only food, but just random things like clothes etc because once these things are gone, they are just gone....unless you can make your way to one of the other islands or the mainland. This isn't done too much because you either don't come back or you are taken by THEM. Rory's sister and father tried to make it to the mainland, but they never came back.

Let me see if I can do this without spoilers. Rory ends up getting off the island by accident. He ends up with a crew of three people that have different magical abilities. They all make it to the mainland and then more crazy stuff happens and Rory ends up with another group of people. Wow, this is really confusing isn't it. You really just have to read it because it's got a really good and bizarre plot.

I guess I should mention all of this is like after a type of apocalypse. There used to be days like the here and now, our world. Now it's all kinds of crazy. This book has magic, shapeshifters, God, Sirens, prophets, evil people, and some other stuff that is right on out there. There are still buildings that the people live in that was from before, you know like regular houses, churches, etc. I thought it was funny when Rory mentioned there was one working toilet on their island and you could use it and flush it as long as you filled the thingy up with water. I don't know why but I thought that was funny, I guess because of all the surroundings that it just seemed funny to mention taking a poo in a working toilet! Lol

Anyway it was a good book and I look forward to reading the first two and this one again and see how they all add up.

**I would like to thank NETGALLEY and ATRIA BOOKS for giving me the opportunity to read this book in exchange of my honest review.**

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Arcadia.

December 28, 2015 – Started Reading
December 28, 2015 – Shelved
December 28, 2015 – Shelved as: fantasy-all
December 28, 2015 – Shelved as: young-adult
December 28, 2015 – Shelved as: netgalley-all
page 1
December 28, 2015 –
1.0% "I haven't read the first two books but someone said it's fine as a stand alone."
December 29, 2015 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Pearl (new)

Pearl Angeli Beautiful review, Melissa! :) Hopefully the next one will be better :)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Thank you sweet Pearl. I just can't put my finger on it with this one so I'm going to try it over. I look forward to the first two books, but you really can read this as a stand alone because it doesn't mention anything from before that you should really know, if that makes sense :-)