Edward Lorn's Reviews > The Exorcist

The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty

Recommended for: Those who buy their sex toys from divine-interventions.com

Finally, the last book I read in 2015. All caught up now.

Pssst... You've read four books this year, so, like, you're, you know, still behind...

FUCK!

Anyballs, here we are, decades after this book was released and the movie adaptation gave baby boomers nightmares. I've never been a fan of books wherein faith beats the baddie. Seems the fallback method for lazy horror authors. I mean, why come up with your own means of annihilating the monster when you have all this religion laying around? Of course, in this book, it works. It works because religion is integral to the plot. I get that, so I'm cool with the denouement.

I'm in awe of Blatty's ability to create atmosphere and tension with the silliest villain dialogue I've read. Normally when someone tells me my mother sucks cocks in hell, I'd just laugh it off, because according to my father, Mom doesn't do that. So joke's on you! Ha! Wait... Sorry. TMI? That shit with the crucifix in the cooze, though? That shit was horrifying. I don't have lady bits and cannot fathom taking a block of wood to my vahjayjay, but I imagine it'd be up there with getting kicked in the dangly bits. Yowch!

Side question: Do you ladies feel it in your guts when you're curbstomped in the nu-nu? Does it feel like someone just falcon-punched your ovaries? Or is it more a localized pain? Sore lips, and all that? Because us guys feel it in our stomachs. Damn near all the way up to our sternums.

Anyfuck, I dug this book. It was fun, gross, and didn't overstay its welcome. I'd definitely read the followup.

In summation: If you've seen the director's cut of the movie adaptation and haven't read this book, you're not missing much. There's a lot more inner thought, as you'd expect from a novel, but overall the movie is a quicker way to absorb the same content, as the author is the one who wrote and directed the movie. Me? I prefer the book simply because I enjoy books.

Final Judgment: More fun than a cross to the babymaker.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Exorcist.

October 5, 2015 –
page 50
December 27, 2015 – Started Reading
December 27, 2015 – Shelved
December 28, 2015 –
page 136
35.32% "So far not too many deviations between book and film. I didn't think the spider crawl down the stairs would be in here, but I was wrong. I love the ease at which Blatty creates atmosphere. Damn hard work goes into making such easy reading."
December 29, 2015 –
page 282
December 29, 2015 –
page 385
100.0% "With this book I will have broken 50,000 pages read this year. I will call this a lifetime best. No way in hell I'm going to be able to do this again."
December 29, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

Wayne Barrett I just started it today. this is a reread but it has been over 40 years so I am really curious to see how sits with me now as opposed to when I was 12.

Edward Lorn I've seen the film once or twice but this is my first read through.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) The Final Judgment. *snortlaugh*

Edward Lorn I'm a classy broad. ;-)

message 5: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah I'm glad I recommend a book you enjoyed while helping you out with the dilemma of 'what to read next'. Call me anytime.

Edward Lorn Will do, Sarah. Thanks. :-)

message 7: by Ɗẳɳ 2.☊ (new)

Ɗẳɳ  2.☊ This year, I swear I'm gonna have to pick up one of your books. Your goddamn reviews just slay me every time. I hope you mix in some comedy with all the horror.

Dustin Nice review, man. I'm surprised you hadn't read it prior to this, but it's all good. You enjoyed it, that's all that matters. I read it in 2006, I believe, and freaking loved it, despite seeing the Director's Cut a few times some years earlier.:)

Edward Lorn Dᴀɴ 2.☢ wrote: "This year, I swear I'm gonna have to pick up one of your books. Your goddamn reviews just slay me every time. I hope you mix in some comedy with all the horror."

People seem to find me funny. I find me funny, anyway. But I don't count. :)

Edward Lorn Dustin wrote: "Nice review, man. I'm surprised you hadn't read it prior to this, but it's all good. You enjoyed it, that's all that matters. I read it in 2006, I believe, and freaking loved it, despite seeing the..."

One of those books I just never got around to.

Ellen Gail This was my last read of 2015 too! It was very good.

message 12: by Levi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Levi Walls 😂😂

message 13: by Todd (new) - rated it 5 stars

Todd Charlton Don't forget Billy Friedkin directed the film.