Kaitlin Batik's Reviews > Hunt

Hunt by L.C. Mawson

F 50x66
Dec 27, 2015

bookshelves: favorites

I've never written a book review (unless school-assigned book reports count) so bear with me if this doesn't flow the way book reviews are supposed to.
Plot background: Freya is a 14-year-old girl whose mother died shortly after she was born and whose father was never found. As such, she's spent her life bouncing from foster family to foster family. Her latest set of foster parents is in a new town, so she has to change schools. She's always had trouble making friends (she's autistic but undiagnosed) and most of the students in her new school aren't exactly kind to her. One day,she accidentally floods the school bathroom, and learns that she has magical abilities and that her mother died to prevent a war between magical beings and humans. She then begins a crash course in magic.
I don't have a lot of experience with the Urban Fantasy genre, but after I read the premise of this book I was intrigued.
And after reading the book itself, I can say I enjoyed reading it. The plot was interesting, and at points the book was hard to put down. I also enjoyed the different characters.
I did find some of the scenes involving Damon's family confusing, but seeing as Freya also found those scenes confusing I get the feeling that the confusion was intentional/included in a good way.
I would have liked to see more of some of the characters, and to learn more about how magic works in this book's universe, but I imagine that's what sequels are for.
Speaking of sequels, I'm looking forward to reading them. As for this book, I found it enjoyable and reccomend reading it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hunt.

December 27, 2015 – Started Reading