Skye (HailHydra)'s Reviews > A Court of Mist and Fury

A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas

Dec 27, 2015

liked it
bookshelves: favourites, addicted-to-ya, 2016

** spoiler alert ** When I finished this yesterday, I gave it a five-star rating literally two minutes after finishing it. Upon further reflection, I've decided to lower it to a 3.5. Yes, I loved the book. Yes, I'm in love with Rhysand. Yes, some sentences were so beautiful I wanted to cry. However, I really did not need the specifics of how Feyre and Rhysand couldn't keep their hands off of each other, ever, 15 times within 200 pages, and before that, how much Feyre wanted to be with him, but felt so guilty because of Tamlin and yadda yadda yadda. I got tired of it very quickly. I know it's the way the whole 'mating bond' thing is, but did we really need such detail in those scenes? I did not need to read all of that. It was unnecessary.
Aside from that, I found no flaw in the novel.
I eventually, despite my own protests, fell in love with Rhys, as we all did.
I told my sister that I would cry if I hated Tamlin by the end of the novel, because I loved him so damn much in ACOTAR, but by the time we saw him again, I hated him too much to care. (Though a small part of my heart will always belong to Tamlin).
My two favourite scenes were definitely the Starfall scene, and the scene were Feyre sees Lucien and a few other sentinels in the forest.
The writing was nothing special. Not bad, but not overly impressive and amazing either. Though, as you are about to discover, I found a lot of quotes that I liked. A lot.
And now for some quotes! – These are what made me love this book so damn much.
"Or maybe I had broken it, when I shoved that dagger into the hearts of two innocent faeries and their blood had warmed my hands."
"We shot into the sky, fast as a shooting star."
"My hand was unnervingly steady as I lifted it to find my fingers ending in simmering embers. Living claws of flame that had sliced through my bed linens like they were cauterizing wounds - "
"His answering smile evoked silken sheets and jasmine-scented breezes at midnight."
""There is the darkness that frightens, the darkness that soothes, the darkness that is restful." I pictured each. "There is the darkness of lovers, and the darkness of assassins. It becomes what the bearer wishes it to be, needs it to be. It is not wholly bad or good.""
And my personal favourites:
“The person who had sent music into that cell; who had picked up that knife in Amarantha’s throne room to fight for me when no one else dared, and who had kept fighting for me every day since, refusing to let me crumble and disappear into nothing.”
“I am the dark lord, who stole away the bride of spring. I am a demon, and a nightmare, and I will meet a bad end.”
“Alluring as a calm sea under a cloudy sky.”
“To the people who look up at the stars and wish… to the stars who listen, and the dreams that are answered.”
“And maybe the world should learn that I did indeed have fangs.
Lucien’s finger grazed the sleeve of my leather jacket.
And I become smoke and ash and night.”
I hope you all enjoyed this novel as much as I did!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Court of Mist and Fury.

Quotes Skye (HailHydra) Liked

Sarah J. Maas
“There are different kinds of darkness,” Rhys said. I kept my eyes shut. “There is the darkness that frightens, the darkness that soothes, the darkness that is restful.” I pictured each. “There is the darkness of lovers, and the darkness of assassins. It becomes what the bearer wishes it to be, needs it to be. It is not wholly bad or good.”

Sarah J. Maas
“I was not a pet, not a doll, not an animal.
I was a survivor, and I was strong.
I would not be weak, or helpless again
I would not, could not be broken. Tamed.”

Sarah J. Maas
“When you spend so long trapped in darkness, you find that the darkness begins to stare back.”

Sarah J. Maas
“When you spend so long trapped in darkness, Lucien, you find that the darkness begins to stare back.”

Sarah J. Maas
“To the people who look at the stars and wish, Rhys."
Rhys clinked his glass against mine. “To the stars who listen— and the dreams that are answered.”

Sarah J. Maas
“I fell in love with you, smartass, because you were one of us—because you weren’t afraid of me, and you decided to end your spectacular victory by throwing that piece of bone at Amarantha like a javelin. I felt Cassian’s spirit beside me in that moment, and could have sworn I heard him say, ‘If you don’t marry her, you stupid prick, I will.”

Sarah J. Maas
“My friend through many dangers. My lover who had healed my broken and weary soul. My mate who had waited for me against all hope, despite all odds.”

Sarah J. Maas
“He thinks he'll be remembered as the villain in the story. But I forgot to tell him that the villain is usually the person who locks up the maiden and throws away the key. He was the one who let me out.”

Sarah J. Maas
“And so Tamlin unwittingly led the High Lady of the Night Court into the heart of his territory.”

Sarah J. Maas
“I was his and he was mine, and we were the beginning and middle and end. We were a song that had been sung from the very first ember of light in the world.”

December 27, 2015 – Shelved
December 27, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
July 15, 2016 – Started Reading
July 15, 2016 –
page 50
7.99% "Feyre and Tamlin are OTP, go die Rhysand. I don't like you."
July 15, 2016 –
page 145
23.16% "I still hate Rhysand. And I still want him to go die."
page 280
44.73% "Okay Rhysand, I may be falling a little in love with you. But Tamlin is still my precious baby."
page 362
57.83% "Rhysand is mine."
page 423
67.57% "Rhysand is my precious baby, and I will protect him at all costs."
page 441
70.45% "I AM MARRYING RHYSAND."
July 17, 2016 –
page 489
78.12% "I LOVE YOU RHYSAND, LET ME MARRY YOU AND PROTECT YOU FOREVER."
July 17, 2016 –
page 493
78.75% "OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD THEY'RE MATES??! OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD THEY'RE SO PERFECT AND I LOVE IT *I'M DEAD*"
July 17, 2016 – Shelved as: favourites
July 18, 2016 – Finished Reading
July 22, 2016 – Shelved as: addicted-to-ya
August 31, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016

hope ❅ Only three stars?!

Lauren (Shakespeare & Whisky) Hope wrote: "Only three stars?! "

These books are so hard to rate because they are so addictive but objectively they are not very well written.

Skye (HailHydra) Hope wrote: "Only three stars?! "

I'm rewriting my review -- so keep an eye out, it will explain why it's only three stars

hope ❅ Well I can't understand where th

hope ❅ Wow I didn't mean to press post

hope ❅ Well, I can understand where you're coming from, but I disagree. Every bit of this book, to me, was perfection. But you are entitled to your own opinion and I respect that opinion! Though I am very sad that you don't love my favorite book but, oh well. Fingers crossed that the next one will be even better and Tamlin will be redeemed!

Skye (HailHydra) I hope Tamlin is redeemed too!! He was one of my favourites in ACOTAR, and for the first 200 or so pages of this book, so I'm really hoping I can love him again!!