Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin's Reviews > The Right Family

The Right Family by Susan B. Roara

Dec 27, 2015

bookshelves: own

MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

I would like to thank the author, Susan B. Roara for a copy of her book in exchange for my honest review. Now, that being said, I guess I'm more picky when I'm reading an author's book, I feel like I have to be more brutally honest and hope for the best. In most of the cases I have found rare gems out of these books. This is one of those cases, I loved this book. Yes, there were a few things I would have liked to know more of, but there are a lot of characters in this book and I think the author did a wonderful job at creating them. When I don't want to put a book down then I know it's going to be a treat.

This book is also written in the different characters viewpoints but it's not confusing in the least!

Lucy and Jack were best friends as kids and just as they were growing into something more, Jack gets taken out of Lucy's life. A tragedy strikes and Jack and his brother Charles disappear.

I actually felt very sorry for Jack's family life in the beginning and I was worried about Lucy's family life as well. Lucy has a somewhat large family and her mom has a big job taking care of all of them. There are Lucy, Kat, Julia, Thomas, Kaylan, Jessica and Mikey, they all live with their mom and dad.

The book moves forward a few years and Lucy is older, going to prom, has a best friend Amelia, graduating before long and still... thinking of Jack. What happened to him?

I will say Charles and Jack were separated and Charles ran away and left Jack, but Jack got the better end of the stick. It's one of those.. if only situations....

We don't get too much involved in Lucy's younger siblings but Kat, Julia and Thomas have big parts in the book. Kat is living a life with a big secret. Thomas has a secret of his own and Julia is just trying to help keep things together. Their mom is acting stranger and stranger, it's like she's about to have a mental breakdown. Their father is trying to do what little he can to help since he's the one that works all of the time to keep them all together.

Then lo and behold, Charles comes back to town! He forms a bond with Kat and friendship with Thomas (Tommy). When Lucy finds out he's back she is on a mission to find out what happened to Jack and gets Charles on board. He was hoping that Jack would show back up in town looking for him so he gets a job and a little apartment.

Lucy and Kat find out the place Charles and Jack's mom was born and Charles remembers the social workers mentioning an grandfather they had when they were picked up as children. And that is all it takes for Lucy to get everyone involved in going on a road trip from Connecticut to Indiana to try to find Jack. This road trip includes, Lucy, Charles, Tommy, Amelia and Kat!

And guess what? They find Jack :-) He's living on a farm and I'm not going to say why, what he's got going on, how is life is or what all has happened to him. You have to read the book :-) I love saying that!

Needless to say Jack is so happy to see his brother and Lucy... there hasn't been a day that she's not on his mind. Well, he had a few slips there, but then he got on the right track again! :-)

Unfortunately, while they are out of town, a tragedy strikes Lucy's family and her, Kat, Tommy and Lucy's friend Amelia have to race back home. Charles stays behind with Jack.

Jack and Charles do come back to visit Lucy and Kat and it's really bittersweet and sad. I'm really hoping it's a good ending in the next book. The end of this one is up in the air as decisions can't just be made because of what happened in the family.

How can you make the choice of love or your family that needs you. You can't really.. can you?

Once again, I loved this book and what a wonderful story for the author's first novel! I can't wait for the next one..unless it doesn't have a happy ending.. just kidding!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Right Family.

December 27, 2015 – Started Reading
December 27, 2015 – Shelved
December 27, 2015 – Shelved as: own
page 12
page 43
page 54
15.61% "I'm really liking this book, it's a really sad beginning though. We shall see"
page 83
page 131
37.86% "Night night ❤"
December 28, 2015 –
page 184
December 28, 2015 –
page 245
December 28, 2015 – Finished Reading

Susan Roara Thank you so much Mel! I love the pictures and the review! Big hug xo

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Your welcome Susan, thank you for writing such a good book that I could love! :-) Big hug back xo ♥

message 3: by Mrs Lecter (new)

Mrs Lecter this sounds very interesting and unlike the type of books I usually read so I think I'll check it out as I want to read a wider range!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin That's awesome! I don't know if you would like it but I loved it, I read most everything but mafia stuff or not much cowboy stuff. This one is a great family story.