Paloma Maldonado's Reviews > Ghosts of War: The True Story of a 19-Year-Old GI

Ghosts of War by Ryan Smithson

Feb 14, 2011

I feel like I have a connection with this book. When I first looked at the cover my intentions were to understand what my dad does better, but this book is so much more than that. It teaches you the value of freedom and what to look forward to when all other shreds of hope are lost. People don't truly understand their freedom until they've gone through and seen something just like Ryan did. In other places in the world, some people don't have free will. Reading this book made me appreciate what I do have better. It made me realize that the materialistic aspects of life aren't important. I'm more thankful to my parents and everyone else in my life because of this book. Reading Ryan's story made me laugh, cry and it even made me want to throw the book across the room. At one point it got really emotional that I didn't want to finish reading. After finishing this book I realized that without faith you have nothing. You must always look on the brighter side of every situation. Furthermore, what I love most about this book is that Ryan Smithson didn't coddle us through the story. He didn't keep what he saw from us; we got the true story and that is what I respect most from him. Ghosts of War is one of the best books I have read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghosts of War.

February 14, 2011 – Started Reading
February 14, 2011 – Shelved
February 14, 2011 –
page 83
24.7% "I'm getting chills reading this book."
February 21, 2011 –