Sandra 's Reviews > The Soul Mirror

The Soul Mirror by Carol Berg

Feb 14, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy, ebook

Well, this one is a lot better than, and completes The Spirit Lens. Told from the point of view of Anne de Vernase, daughter of the man convicted of sorcery by the protagonist of the first book, we learn more about and again are swept up into the mystery. While this book has a more satisfying ending than the first, it is obviously not the end of the story. There must be a third book in the offing.

I'm giving it four stars as I was never as swept up into the story as I was of the Rai Kirah trilogy, or the protagonist of the Lighthouse Duology. The heroes/heroine were not as likable to me. Indeed, one major player is unlikable to the nth degree. The magic, while compelling, was not completely comprehensible to me, nor was it as soul snatching as the magic in the Lighthouse Duology.

Still, it is very readable, and a page turner, up 'til the end. Berg is always fine, even at less than 5 stars far preferable to many other writers I have read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Soul Mirror.

February 14, 2011 – Shelved
May 6, 2011 – Shelved as: fantasy
May 6, 2011 – Shelved as: ebook
July 5, 2011 – Started Reading
July 5, 2011 –
33.0% "Picks up where #1 leaves off. A different POV."
July 7, 2011 –
page 33
July 9, 2011 –
page 95
18.85% "Starting Chapter 9. I had to reread the last chapter of Spirit Lens to remember what was going on. I remember feeling like I was reading through fog in the first book and so far it's the same with this one, although it's getting clearer."
July 10, 2011 –
page 177
35.12% "Well it's getting a lot better!"
July 11, 2011 –
page 236
46.83% "Things is hoppin'. I don't trust Duplais' mentor. He's too slick."
July 13, 2011 –
July 14, 2011 –
page 392
77.78% "Egads."
July 15, 2011 – Finished Reading

message 1: by orannia (new)

orannia Oh, I look forward to hearing what you think. I haven't read this book, but I discovered Carol Berg via her Lighthouse Duology - those books completely blew me away. Hope to read Transformation at some point :)

Sandra Oh yeah, and the Transformation trilogy is awesome.

message 3: by orannia (new)

orannia ...and the Transformation trilogy is awesome.

*rubs hands with glee at the thought of three books*

Sandra Oh yeah. You have to read all three!

message 5: by orannia (new)

orannia Definitely on my list :) Methinks I need to make it sooner though!

message 6: by orannia (new)

orannia Still on my list (as in this trilogy), but I want to read Transformation first :)