Hannah Greendale's Reviews > The Fellowship of the Ring

The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien

bookshelves: fantasy, classic-literature, action-adventure, tolkien
Read 3 times. Last read December 29, 2017 to January 8, 2018.

From the valleys of the Shire to the summit of Amon Hen, The Fellowship of the Ring is an extraordinary adventure of endearing characters defying impossible odds.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fellowship of the Ring.

Finished Reading
December 29, 2017 – Started Reading
December 29, 2017 – Shelved as: action-adventure
December 31, 2017 –
page 74
14.62% ""My heart tells me that [Gollum] has some part to play yet, for good or ill, before the end; and when that comes, the pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many - yours not least.""
January 4, 2018 –
page 300
59.29% ""Now, therefore, things shall be openly spoken that have been hidden from all but a few until this day. And first, so that all may understand what is the peril, the Tale of the Ring shall be told from the beginning even to the present. And I will begin that tale, though others shall end it.""
January 5, 2018 –
page 340
67.19% "But low in the South one star shone red. Every night, as the Moon waned again, it shone brighter and brighter. Frodo could see it from his window, deep in the heavens, burning like a watchful eye that glared above the trees on the brink of the valley."
January 7, 2018 –
page 391
77.27% "All about them as they lay hung the darkness, hollow and immense, and they were oppressed by the loneliness and vastness of the dolven halls and endlessly branching stairs and passages. The wildest imaginings that dark rumour had ever suggested to the hobbits fell altogether short of the actual dread and wonder of Moria."
January 8, 2018 – Finished Reading
January 7, 2019 – Shelved as: tolkien

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

message 1: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Interesting cover, sure beats the new movie covers. So looks like you're ready for the Unfinished Tales, The Silmarillion, The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, The Children of Húrin, and Beren and Lúthien now.

Hannah Greendale @Aaron: This is my favorite printing of the three variants I own. The font is much larger than my other two books and is therefore much easier to read. If I ever get around to re-reading the trilogy, I'll try to hunt down the second and third books in this printing.

Hannah Greendale @Aaron: Forgot to mention - I own a copy of Children of Hurin but haven't gotten to it yet. :)

message 4: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Cool! I'd love to hear what you think of all / any of these because I know you'll be thorough ...I share your preference for larger font, let the haters hate!

message 5: by Aaron (new)

Aaron 3rd times a charm! or a three star rating?

Vanessa What made it only three stars? Let me guess: too much Tom Bombadil (and elf songs)

Hannah Greendale @Aaron: Third time's a charm, most likely. I certainly enjoyed The Hobbit more on my third read, so we'll see how this goes. :)

Hannah Greendale @Vanessa: I recall thinking it was too slow last time I read it, but my appreciation for Tolkien has heightened since my last read, so I'm curious to see how I feel about the book this go-around.

message 9: by Miranda (new)

Miranda Reads How does this compare to The Hobbit? I've read and reread The Hobbit but I always struggle making it past the first chapter of The Fellowship

Hannah Greendale @Miranda Reads: I don't think Fellowship is as good as The Hobbit, but it's totally worth forging through so you can read The Two Towers.

message 11: by Miranda (new)

Miranda Reads Duly noted :) I'll put it back on my tbr

message 12: by Aaron (new)

Aaron "I always struggle making it past the first chapter of The Fellowship"

You? You're blazing through books faster than I can read reviews :)

message 13: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Pre-liking.

LittleRedRidingHood It's definetly time for a reread.

Hannah Greendale @Aaron: Thanks!

Hannah Greendale @LittleRedRidingHood: It certainly is. :D