Ravi Gangwani's Reviews > Waiting for Godot

Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett

20462959

bookshelves: nobel-prize, favorites, drama, existentialism

"We were not made for the same road"... Yesterday I picked this book. Yesterday I finished it. Some books are made for transporting you into some other world. At the time of reading, when I was just about to finish it ... The book had so appealing effect on me that ... I lost in different country of sensation inside me, I don't know what was it but certainly the overwhelming was lurking on the line between consciousness and unconsciousness ... which when came in sync with present world, I thought... Oh my good, there is certain live spirit breathing inside me... May be one day I will die, and yet I am living with the exact knowledge that day will definitely come and until then, life rolls back and forth on the same spool, each day we would be scrubbed like pencil eraser.
And we will be all, one day become the prey of predator - which is time itself.

Here in this book, the sketch was very simple outline of two persons, Vladamir and Estragon, waiting for Godot. Very unclear, absurd and yet easy, time playing tricks on them ...
After 'The Stranger' By Albert Camus I think this is the book which was able to bring my soul outside of my body for a while.
It was presentation of life where everywhere is nowhere and each day is everyday. How does it matter whether we MOVE or STAND still ?

One day he went dumb, one day I went blind, one day we'll go deaf, one day we were born, one day we shall die, the same day, the same second, is that not enough for you?

The following section I am taking from the book to highlight the nuance of seriousness clubbed in the comical part of the book :

VLADIMIR:
Will night never come?
All three look at the sky.
POZZO:
You don't feel like going until it does?
Well you see—
POZZO:
Why it's very natural, very natural. I myself in your situation, if I had an appointment with a Godin . . . Godet . . . Godot . . . anyhow, you see who I mean, I'd wait till it was black night before I gave up. (He looks at the stool.) I'd very much like to sit down, but I don't quite know how to go about it.
Could I be of any help?
POZZO:
If you asked me perhaps.

After some time

ESTRAGON:
Come come, take a seat I beseech you, you'll get pneumonia.
You really think so?
ESTRAGON:
Why it's absolutely certain.
POZZO:
No doubt you are right. (He sits down.) Done it again! (Pause.) Thank you, dear fellow. (He consults his watch.) But I must really be getting along, if I am to observe my schedule.
VLADIMIR:
Time has stopped.
POZZO:
(cuddling his watch to his ear). Don't you believe it, Sir, don't you believe it. (He puts his watch back in his pocket.) Whatever you like, but not that.
ESTRAGON:
(to Pozzo). Everything seems black to him today.
Except the firmament.
In Hindi I used to say 'Khatarnaak' ... Dangerously encrypted.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waiting for Godot.

December 26, 2015 – Started Reading
September 27, 2016 – Shelved as: nobel-prize
September 27, 2016 – Shelved as: favorites
September 27, 2016 – Shelved as: drama
September 27, 2016 – Shelved as: existentialism

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Philip (new) - added it

Philip This is something I want to read with others, rather than read alone.

Renée Paule Lovely review ... I love this book.

Ravi Gangwani Renée wrote: "Lovely review ... I love this book."
Thanks Renee ,,, It was really a good book. It touched me very deeply from inside. Not only that I am planning to restart it again :)