Dan Schwent's Reviews > The Drawing of the Three

The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King

Feb 07, 2008

bookshelves: western, reread-in-2011, 2011, weird-western, 2014
Read from April 01, 2011 to April 03, 2014

Roland Deschain, fresh from the events of the Gunslinger, lies exhausted and poisoned on the shores of the ocean. In his delirium, he finds three doorways leading to our world and his new ka-tet. Will Roland survive long enough to bring his new ka-tet?

This is when the Dark Tower really started coming together. The first thing that happens really shocked the crap out of me. Damn lobstrosities! I had no idea what Roland was going to go through when I first opened this one.

The new characters are interesting, as are Roland's relationships with them. Eddie Dean, funnyman and heroin addict, is pretty codependent at first, while Detta/Odetta, a multiple personality in a wheelchair, really causes some havoc. Jack Mort, well... you just better read it.

The action in this one is great. The gunfight in Andolini's is one of my favorite Stephen King scenes of all time. While the Gunslinger got me interested in the Dark Tower, this one grabbed me for the long haul.

Thoughts from the April 2011 reread:
Upon yet another re-reading, it seems really illogical that Roland let himself fall asleep so close to the ocean. The battle between Roland and Eddie and Balazar's goons remains one of my favorite gunfights in the series. Susannah is still my least favorite of the ka-tet.

Thoughts from the April 2014 reread:
The beginning is still shocking. While I was pissed the first time I read it, it goes a long way toward the rest of the katet being necessary additions to the series. While the idea of Roland assaulting the Tower with both hands intact sounds awesome, I don't think it would be as good.

Detta gets my goat every time. While Susannah has some measure of redemption near the end of this book and in future books, I still look at her as the woman who did everything she could to sabotage the trip to the third door.

The gun fight at Balazar's is still great.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Drawing of the Three.

04/01/2011 page 14
04/01/2011 page 16
4.0% "Yeah, Roland losing fingers is still pretty harrowing to read about."
03/28/2014 marked as: currently-reading 4 comments
04/03/2014 marked as: read
show 16 hidden updates…

TK421 I am falling behind. I still need to reread THE GUNSLINGER. I got caught up in the graphic novels and then work and then family and then...

Point being: I may have to give this one and THE GUNSLINGER only cursory rereads and then hit it full speed with THE WASTELANDS.

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Gavin wrote: "I am falling behind. I still need to reread THE GUNSLINGER. I got caught up in the graphic novels and then work and then family and then...

Point being: I may have to give this one and THE GUN..."

As long as you remember the face of your father...

Brandon I'm interested in what you think on the second go around.

message 4: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Me too.

Stephanie I don't know....I think Susannah is very interesting.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Such a brave way to really kick off the adventure. LOVE this book, so much.

message 7: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent D_Davis wrote: "Such a brave way to really kick off the adventure. LOVE this book, so much."

Me too. The Dark Tower group is re-reading and discussing the first two books this month...

Emma Susannah was always my least favorite, too. She seemed whiny to me.

message 9: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Emma wrote: "Susannah was always my least favorite, too. She seemed whiny to me."

She always seemed like much more trouble than she was worth.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

No way. Susannah is the heart of the ka-tet.

message 11: by seak (new) - rated it 5 stars

seak I'm about halfway and this book is amazing. The gunfight is just insane, absolutely loved it. This line got me so excited:

"...There's going to be shooting."
"There is?"
"Yes." The gunslinger looked serenely at Eddie. "Quite a lot of it, I think."

message 12: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Seak wrote: "I'm about halfway and this book is amazing. The gunfight is just insane, absolutely loved it. This line got me so excited:

"...There's going to be shooting."
"There is?"
"Yes." The gunslinger look..."

That's one of my favorite bits of dialogue from the series.

message 13: by seak (last edited Apr 12, 2011 08:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

seak After the first book, I did not think this series would be this cool. And I think "cool" is really the best way to describe it.

message 14: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Seak wrote: "After the first book, I did not think this series would be this cool. And I think "cool" is really the best way to describe it."

It's just getting started. The Wastelands was when it all came together for me.

Edward Lorn Agreed about The Waste Lands

message 16: by Komal (new)

Komal How'd I miss out on a fantasy series by King? This is a must-read now.

message 17: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Komal wrote: "How'd I miss out on a fantasy series by King? This is a must-read now."

You'll either love it or hate it. It's my favorite series of all time.

message 18: by Komal (new)

Komal Wouldn't hurt to give a try! Ratings are raving.

message 19: by Jenna (new) - added it

Jenna I can't wait to start this series!!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

The gun fight at Balazar's is still great.

I concur.

Loved it. Great to see that everyone else does too

message 21: by Phil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Phil Meagher I'm glad to hear that Detta bothered you too! I was thinking I might have missed something, the result being that I couldn't stand her in the story at all. Problem is I LOVED book 1 and the first half of this book. And then Detta kinda ruined it. I read about 100 pages of book 3, then decided to take a break. Any advice on overcoming this? I'm afraid if I keep reading now (before I forget about Detta), I wont like the DT series!

message 22: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Susannah is easier to take as the series goes on but she's still my least favorite of the main characters.