Sarina Langer's Reviews > The Name of the Wind

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

bookshelves: forever-shelf

This is the book my books want to be when they grow up! I have so much love for The Name of the Wind-

which makes this review difficult to write. Do you know what happens when you see nothing but the highest praise for a book, and then you buy it with the highest expectations? It falls flat. You're disappointed.

I don't want this to happen here, but I worry I'll gush and do nothing but gush. I hope that, should you chose to buy it and read it yourselves, you'll share my love for it and enjoy it just as much as I did. I don't want to over-hype it for you, so I'll be careful to keep this simple.

It's a story within a story. Kvothe tells the story of his life in beautiful, honest detail, and I'd be one happy kitten if I did nothing but listen to him talk for the rest of my life. Having a day job and other responsibilities meant that I couldn't read this book and do nothing but read this book, as much as I wanted to.

Kvothe's voice is a very honest one. Him telling his own story is personal, and it feels more like he's telling it to me rather me reading about it. His voice has got magic, and he's got a way with words due to his childhood as a trouper. He knows how to string a few words together for maximum effect, and it reflects in the writing. When you give someone a background like that you really need to nail the character's voice, and Rothfuss has done that.

The night he played at the Eolian to earn his pipes was stunning and beautifully written, and had me holding my breath when things went wrong - and then again when he somehow recovered. It was tense, and I applaud Rothfuss for making someone playing an instrument exciting.

I love Master Elodin, who's somewhat mad as you will see.

If there's one thing I didn't expect when I started this book it's that my Irish accent would come along so nicely - you'll see why should you choose to read it. It was a bit difficult at first, but if you let it happen it gets difficult after a while to drop the accent.

I love his relationship with Denna, and the way they dance around each other. They have this special bond which is very true and very real, and Rothfuss has done a beautiful job showing it.

With just over 660 pages, I was intimidated by its size. People told me that it's a fast read despite its length, but I didn't really believe it. When I started reading I thought I'd appreciate something shorter afterwards, but to be honest The Name of the Wind could have had a thousand pages, and I wouldn't have minded. By the time I was around two thirds through I knew that it wasn't long enough and that I wanted more, so instead of reading something shorter next I ordered the sequel - which, as it happens, has just under a thousand pages. So I guess I got my wish ^^

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Wind.

December 26, 2015 – Shelved