Kim's Reviews > Shutter Island

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane

Feb 06, 2008

This was my first book by Dennis Lehane. I'd been wanting to read him for a while and one of the reasons I read Shutter Island first was all the shining reviews about the big twist you'll never see coming.

I hate to be that person, that party pooper saying "I saw it coming from a mile away" but I was expecting a slap in the face and all I got was a wink. I'd been in on it.

I can't give a mystery novel five stars unless it blows me away and since I nearly had it figured out this one didn't do that. But it does tell a good story. I might even say it's good enough for another read one of these days.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shutter Island.

Tess Kim, yep that was my problem with Shutter Island too. I saw the ending coming about 2/3 of the way through the book. I was hoping I was wrong, but I wasn't. It ruined the book for me utterly.

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim I saw the movie recently and while I did really enjoy it (love Scorsese) I wonder what my reaction would have been had I not read the book. However, there still was a surprise or two since I read this so long ago!