Michelle Toy's Reviews > Jellicoe Road

Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta

34022004
Dec 25, 2015

bookshelves: books-that-made-me-cry, read-ya, contemporary, friendships

This review was originally posted on www.talesofyesterday.co.uk - http://talesofyesterday.co.uk/2016/01...

I must admit I had not heard of this book or the author until I received it as part of a secret Santa I participated in in 2015 (#UKBBSS) along with a little note from my secret Santa saying that this is literally one of the best books she has ever read!

This intrigued me and I always love receiving a recommendation I have not heard of before so I jumped straight into reading it on Boxing Day and I have to say I completely agree with Caitlin!

This has now become one of my favourite EVER books.

This book! OMG! I ADORED it so so much! Even thinking about it makes my heart ache and beat wildly at the same time and tears form in my eyes!

A story of friendship, family, truth, hope and love that all happens around the Jellicoe Road and with an opening line that I will never forget….

“My Father took one hundred and thirty-two minutes to die. I counted. It happened on the Jellicoe Road”

Jellicoe Road is told in alternative perspectives. A story from twenty years in the past and a story from the present. Taylor Markham, the main character in the present is the reluctant leader in the towns territory wars with the visiting Cadets lead by Jonah Griggs and the Townies lead by Santangelo which is played out every year to claim parts of the town around the school and the Jellicoe Road. The story in the past tells the story of a similar group of students, Narnie, Webb, Fitz, Tate and Jude who are brought together and form friendships following a terrible accident. When Hannah, the one adult Taylor trusts, disappears Taylor forms friendships with the most unlikely of people in a bid to piece together the clues to uncover the truth.

The story does have a slightly muddly beginning where things are little unclear as to what is going on etc, but this all becomes much more understandable after a few chapters almost like the jigsaw pieces start slotting into place and you can understand where you are.

This story is beautiful from page to page and the writing is powerful and full of emotion throughout and it also introduced me too one of my favourite YA boys ever….Jonah Griggs! To him my heart will always now belong. I actually think I love him…quite a lot!

Taylor Markham is a tough brilliant lead character who has had a hard life and keeps herself to herself. I loved following her journey throughout the book. I think for me, other than Jonah Griggs, my favourite character was Jude from the past storyline. He’s kind of selfless and friendship means the world to him completely.

I was completely engrossed and drawn into this book. I literally could not put it down and when I did I craved to pick it up again. I just connected with it, with the story and with the characters completely.

The flashbacks to the past story, unfolding as we read it, really hit me right in the heart and I cry just thinking it about it. It even made me cry on the bus! I think the past story for me really captured my heart the most. I think most of my favourite scenes came from this aspect of the story. The tone, the feelings, the friendships and the tree house. Narnie, Webb, Fitz, Tate and Jude. They just swooped me up into their arms and never let me go. In fact I think this book and the story will stay with me for a very long time to come.

Marchetta is so clever with her writing. It allows your brain to piece things together before things are even said or done, but also with some twists and turns along the way that you don’t see coming.

“Whatever is now covered up will be uncovered and every secret will be made known”

If you can’t tell already I highly recommend this book to everyone! Especially if you love YA Contemporary.

There are many things I loved about this book and I feel my review may not have done this wonderful book justice, but I have a favourite quote from this book that sums up my feelings and the tone of this book perfectly…

“I fall in love with these kids over and over again and my heart aches for their tragedies and marvels at their friendship”

*wells up and reaches for tissue*

Thank you Caitlin for buying me this book and introducing me to such a wonderful story and characters that I will never forget!

For more reviews and more please visit www.talesofyesterday.co.uk

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jellicoe Road.

December 25, 2015 – Started Reading