Emily's Reviews > Sarah's Key

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

972022
Feb 13, 2011

This book made my heart hurt. I was thinking about it during the meditation at my yoga class last night and it made me cry. The tears rolled down my face and into my ears. I am not a fan of ear tears, but I am a fan of this book.

Fiction? Fiction is generally crap. Why waste your time on totally made up stuff when you can read about real people and learn about real stuff? (Perhaps this is why I watch mostly reality television...not that it is real-real stuff, but it is just a little bit less made up than sitcoms.) BUT- YOU SHOULD "WASTE" YOUR TIME ON THIS BOOK! It was just so gripping and thought-provoking. What would I have done if my neighbors were rounded up and taken away? Would I have been brave enough to stand up? I don't know. I like my neighbors a whole lot, but would I risk my life for theirs? I really don't know. I like to think that I'd be brave, but I'm not sure how I would actually behave in the heat of the moment.

Though this was a made-up story, I think that it truly reflects how people's lives were shattered by the Holocaust. How could it have happened? How could the guards and the police, and even the train conductors, carried these people away to their death? How could they have sorted out their valuables and then sent the living, breathing, loving humans to die? The whole thing makes my mind curl up and cry.

To Hitler: You are a total jerk-off. Up yours buddy. Rot in hell. Amen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sarah's Key.