Dorri's Reviews > Delirium

1916877
Feb 13, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: dystopian

The premise of Delirium intrigued me, love as a disease? Lobotomizing your children at 18 so that they don't experience feelings? Yes, please. Then I began reading the first time. About 30% into the book, I put it aside. I walked away for long enough that the second and then the third (final) book came out. Eventually, I picked it up again. I pushed through my feelings of frustrations with the storyline. I continued reading until the bitter end.

Did I like Delirium? That is a complicated question. There are parts about this book that I liked. But they were buried deep in the last portion of the book. I cannot tell you about them either, because you may have not seen the wilds or made a home out of an abandon house with a broken roof. You might not have let the rain fall on your face as you looked up at the stars from a bed being soaked through. There are good parts to this book just like there are bright spots in the pain of living. I'm going to say that sometimes there are delights to be found in a certain type of sameness.

What was it that I didn't like? I've read this story a dozen times. A dystopian society surviving by damaging future generations. The removal of any type of individuality or spontaneity. A group of free people fighting against the ruling society. The desire of one or more characters to change the bad things into good. The want to live for more than the mundane. There were no surprises in this book for me.

Ms. Oliver has a wonderful turn of phrase and a deft touch with language. After finishing the first book, I wonder, will the second book be a mirror of dozens of others? Or will she show me something more than what other people have said? Don't take my word for it, read it for yourself and then judge. You might find something in it that appeals to you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.

February 12, 2011 – Started Reading