Edith's Reviews > Losing Mum and Pup

Losing Mum and Pup by Christopher Buckley

Feb 12, 2011

bookshelves: memoir
Read in December, 2010

I found this book fascinating! It was my Christmas vacation read this year. Christopher Buckley writes about his famous father, William F. Buckley, “considered the father of the modern conservative movement”, and his mother, Patricia, who was “one of New York’s most glamorous and colorful socialites.” He concentrates on details during their final years leading to their deaths, but also dips back into their history for interesting stories. And there are lots of them...these were colorful people who kept up a whirlwind of activity and accomplishment. I recall William F. Buckley from the program he created- Firing Line, and the magazine he started- The National Review. He also wrote 56 books in all...several are about sailing trips he took...he sailed across the Atlantic at least twice- once with son Christopher. I have his book “Windfall: The End of the Affair” which is about his final sailing trip across the Atlantic with several friends. He has such skill with words that almost anything of his is a pleasure to read. Christopher has a number of books to his credit as well, but this is the first I have read.

Christopher loved his parents but had a tumultous relationship with both of them much of the time. He estimates that at least one-half of the seven thousand or so e-mails and letters he exchanged with his father were contentious and often he was not speaking to his mother because of some outrageous behavior she had exhibited. Christopher writes with a comedic touch and shares many of the eccentricities of his notable parents. There is one tidbit near the end of the book regarding William F. that I can hardly believe...this quirk of his father’s defies proper decorum and does not seem logistically possible, but I will leave the discovery of this oddity to those who venture into the book! If you are at all familiar with William F. Buckley, I am sure you will find this book enjoyable.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Losing Mum and Pup.