Sierra Abrams's Reviews > Max

Max by James Patterson

Feb 12, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, futuristic, young-adult, 2011-read, reviewed, 12-and-up
Read from August 29 to 30, 2011

Yearning To Read

Summary -
While working for Max's mom's group, CSU, and performing for thousands of people to raise money to save the planet, Max, Fang, Iggy, Nudge, the Gasman, and Angel are attacked by a new kind of robot. They manage to escape, but barely. And while the Flock is in a safehouse at a school for actual learning, Max's mom is kidnapped. Can the bird-kids find her in time to save her? Or will this new threat the end of everyone - of the whole planet?

My thoughts -
So, this book is definitely much better than the last few books, almost as good as the first. It had so much more going for it than the others. But there were some things I didn't quite get (and am questioning about the whole series) - where are all these different bad guys coming from?! The Director, Uber-Director, Mr. Chu, Itex, the School. It makes no sense. Unless these guys are all connected somehow, I'm going to see this as pointless.

Another thing is that I don't understand why Max is no closer to "saving the world" than before. These new bad guys are always either defeated or about to be. Where is this going? And if this turns into a "save the world from pollution" sermon (which is where it might be headed), then I'll be super disappointed. I love these books because of the sci-fi, and the characters. If Patterson cuts the sci-fi to be preachy, I'm not going to be very happy.

Besides that...this book was great. Characters, dialogue, writing, turn out. Thoroughly enjoyable. Oh - and it has the most hysterical make out session I've ever read, without managing to squash the passion. Definitely impressive.

Character notes -
Once again, this is the reason I read these books. The characters are great. They only get more amazing in this book as they search for Max's mom and uncover secrets. They are constantly changing and getting new powers, which is really cool.

Fang. Oh. That guy... Kissable, much?

I'm really curious to see who the Voice is. It's kind of getting cheesy and losing purpose. Maybe I'll discover more in the 6th book? (Entitled: Fang. I have a good feeling about this book...)

Story notes -
The story lacked. It was good fun, of course, but it didn't make me want to keep reading. (It's a good thing the characters took that job.) There were a few holes in the story and some of it was kind of preachy, but I chose to ignore that. However, I did enjoy most of this story, like Fang/Max, the "BS" military camp, and most of the underwater and submarine scenes. They were quite fascinating, be assured. Especially Max/Fang. :)

Summing it up -
Sunny. The whole book was sunny and (mostly) happy. Max lets herself love, the Flock become closer, they save the day, and it's set in Hawaii. Yep, sunny is the word.
I hear that book 6, Fang, is depressing. So I'm glad for this ray of sunshine before things go dark... And I think I know the reason why... :(

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Max.