Tim's Reviews > Presence: Bringing Your Boldest Self to Your Biggest Challenges

Presence by Amy Cuddy

bookshelves: favorites

The reason why I bought this book was because Amy Cuddy's TED talk about "power posing" helped me through a difficult challenge. I felt like an impostor in my probability theory class. It was my first mathematical theory class, and, frankly, I had felt misplaced for much of the semester. I was one of the youngest people in the class and generally felt inadequate about my math preparation (even though I shouldn't have!). After watching her TED talk and committing myself to changing my posture and presence, I started feeling and thinking like I wasn't an impostor anymore. By the end of the semester, I actually started enjoying coming to class. The tangible results also showed as well. During the last week, we had to give a presentation about a special topic and I ended up getting an A on the final presentation!

Watching the TED talk itself gave me the confidence I needed to show my boldest and strongest true self in many domains. Because I was deeply moved by those ideas, I bought the book as soon as I could to learn more. The TED talk gives concrete "takeaways," but the book actually gives insight into how those concrete details were made. Those explanations are clear and cogent. The book starts off by introducing and defining the ideas of presence, power (personal and social), the connection between mind/body/behavior, and then the power-posing hypothesis that's powerful yet simple. It all comes together as a "takeaway" message in the last chapter or two.

This book is on my favorites list (and a 5/5), because the findings from Cuddy's research has changed the way I view interactions and stressful (but important) situations. It's not easy to find a book that changes how one views the world. I found out about Amy Cuddy through her TED talk and articles that I've read for a research assistant position in a psychology lab. What's great is that she's sharing these ideas in an accessible book to everyone, yet she offers so much depth if one wants to rigorously examine them.

Here's the URL of her TED talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks-_M...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Presence.

December 24, 2015 – Shelved
December 26, 2015 –
page 237
December 26, 2015 – Finished Reading
December 28, 2015 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Sylvia Swann Her TED Talk was definitely one of my favorites. This will be my next read.

Sylvia Swann I must add that I'm so glad it worked out so well for you. What a wonderful testimony! I'm sure Amy will love reading it.

message 3: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim Sylvia wrote: "Her TED Talk was definitely one of my favorites. This will be my next read."

You'll love it!

message 4: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim Sylvia wrote: "I must add that I'm so glad it worked out so well for you. What a wonderful testimony! I'm sure Amy will love reading it."

Thank you! I also hope she sees this!