Jennifer (JC-S)'s Reviews > Running Against the Tide

Running Against the Tide by Amanda Ortlepp

bookshelves: australian-womens-writers-challenge, net-galley, review-books

‘… you don’t realise the effect you have on people. You don’t understand that your actions have consequences.’

Erin Travers and her sons Mike and Ryan have left Sydney, hoping to start a new life in the small town of Mallee Bay on South Australia’s Eyre Peninsula. Erin spent some happy times in Mallee Bay as a child, and hopes to find refuge and start a new life away from her gambling addict husband Marcus.

Mallee Bay is a small, close-knit community, where everyone knows almost everything about everyone else, and where newcomers are obvious. It can be difficult establishing yourself in such a small town, especially for Erin’s son Ryan who really doesn’t want to be there. And it doesn’t take long before Erin’s move becomes complicated. Mallee Bay is no utopia, and thefts from the oyster leases have people suspicious. As does a fire. While Erin and her son Mike are settling in to life at Mallee Bay, Ryan is finding it far more difficult. And he really doesn’t want to be there anyway.

This is one of those wonderfully written, multi-layered novels peopled with interesting and at times complicated characters. Two of my favourite characters would have to be Erin’s next door neighbours, Jono (an oyster farmer) and Helen.

I really enjoyed this novel, and while I worked out certain aspects before the end, there were plenty of twists and turns along the way. And the ending? You’ll need to read it for yourself to find out.

Note: My thanks to NetGalley and Simon & Schuster (Australia) for providing me with a free electronic copy of this novel for review purposes.

Jennifer Cameron-Smith

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Running Against the Tide.

December 24, 2015 – Started Reading