C.G. Drews's Reviews > Strange the Dreamer

Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor

bookshelves: 5-star, adult, best-of-2017, epic-fantasy, read-2017, audio-books, reread, read-2018
Read 2 times. Last read September 10, 2018 to September 25, 2018.

READ #2, Sept 2018

Ok but can you just give me a moment while I suffocate with the beauty and perfection that is this book. I haven't had a book totally steal my soul like this in so so long and I am just !!!!! basically fifty million exclamation marks. TheRE IS NO END TO HOW MUCH I LOVE IT. I just...like the foreshadowing, the descriptions, the vivid lush world, the exquisite detail, the myths and legends, the characters who simply do not just stay on a page. They are so so real.

This is the kind of book you read and fall completely into.

And I shan't come out yoU CANNOT MAKE ME. [insert some wild sobbing here]

Anyway, hi, I am wrecked and ready for Muse of Nightmares. But also not ready because I can't feel my heartbeat as is??? Holy afjdkslad I am ablaze with how incredibly told this is. (Also I still have only read it via audio! Best decision!) And doubly also I feel many many things for Minya and none of them are hate so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ excuse me while I go die.

Read #1: April 2018
I TRULY DO NOT HAVE WORDS FOR HOW MUCH BEAUTIFUL PERFECTION THIS BOOK IS. I need more stars to give it omg. I honestly feel like this is the most beautifully written book of ever....the words!??? The marvellous exquisite combination of words just!???? IT SLAYED ME. It's all gods and monsters and librarians and the most lush and gorgeous dream landscapes and I cannnnn't. I just can't with how wholly i loved it. I got to this point reading it and was just like "I never want this book to end thanks."

OKAY BUT CAN WE TALK ABOUT LAZLO STRANGE FOR A MINUTE?!? Aka the most precious hufflepuff in existence. He is so sweet and pure and good and lovely and jfadskaldjaklj. I love him. I love how his nose got broken by a fairy tale book and that he'll walk into a wall because he's reading so much and how his whole life is about fantastical lost cities and how he dreams the most beautiful and gorgeous dreams the world has ever known. HE IS PERFECT. And relatable. Because book lover. And also 10/10 for how dorky he was.

The world doesn't deserve the preciousness of Lazlo Strange.

(Also his name is so fabulous.)

(Also he dreams himself dragon wings so also I am Lazlo Strange.)

And I absolutely adored Sarai too, who is a blue-skinned godspawn. She's hiding from the world that wants her dead because of her horrifically cruel goddess mother. But she is pURE and gOOD too. And I just want to give her a cake. She hasn't had a cake in year and goddammit please someone give Sarai a cake.

But what really caught me is the writing. Usually I would be dead with so much flowery prose but I wasn't. I absolutely loved it. It totally swallowed my MIND and I just couldn't stop thinking "I wnat to live in this book." Every word was so perfectly chosen that I was devoured by the story. I've never seen a city so clearly as I see Weep. I THINK LAINI TAYLOR MIGHT BE ABLE TO DO TRUE MAGIC. JUST SAYIN'.

This is all about magic and gods and monsters which is 100000% my kind of story. Also dEATh and destruction and psychotic little girls who catch ghosts and legends inside legends and great monsters and beasts and cruel pasts and terrified warriors and god slayers and quiet librarian boys and falling girls with flowers in their hair and -- I JUST -- AJFKDLSAFDJKJKDFSJ.

I do think it's not YA though. I read a fair bit of adult fantasy and this read far more like adult. Plus Lazlo is like 20, so.

And there were a few things that weren't my favourite but I'm kind of like "OH WHO CARES I STILL ADORE IT WITH ALL MY SOCKS" to the situation. But:
• it is rather omnipresent so head-bopping happened a lot
• and it has a pretty smack-in-the-face dose of instalove
• except i ship it so bad jafdksld help me

SPOILERS ABOUT LAZLO:
(view spoiler)

You know? I could just flail forever over how much I loved it. I don't even think you should know too much about the storyline, because it's pure perfection to watch it unravel with Lazlo. <3 But honestly I want to read more books with sweet boys and nightmare girls. I want more books that melt my soul with the most fantastically marvellous writing in the world. I want books that make me DREAM and be inspired to greatness. I FEEL LIKE WRITING A THOUSAND FAIRY TALES AND CONQUERING THE MOON AND FLYING AWAY ON DRAGON WINGS NOW. And a book that steals your heart and your imagination is the perfect kind of book.

#obsessed

NOTE: I listened to the audiobook and it worked SO well for me. Usually I read too fast, so I think I woudn't have appreciated the lush detailed writing if I hadn't have gone with the audio. Plus it's Steve West who has a gorgeous accent omg. <3 (And narrated The Scorpio Races as Sean so excuse me while Sean and Lazlo are the same and I'm in love.) (But also I listen to it on 2 x the speed ahem. Otherwise I would've lost at least 87 braincells at how slow he reads.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strange the Dreamer.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Laini Taylor
“He read while he walked. He read while he ate. The other librarians suspected he somehow read while he slept, or perhaps didn't sleep at all.”

Laini Taylor
“I think you’re a fairy tale. I think you’re magical, and brave, and exquisite. And I hope you'll let me be in your story.”

Laini Taylor
“Lazlo. You have to wake up now, my love. And he did.”

Laini Taylor
“The library knows its own mind,” old Master Hyrrokkin told him, leading him back up the secret stairs. “When it steals a boy, we let it keep him.”

Laini Taylor
“Without his books, his room felt like a body with its hearts cut out.”

Laini Taylor
“I turned my nightmares into fireflies and caught them in a jar.”

Laini Taylor
“There was a man who loved the moon, but whenever he tried to embrace her, she broke into a thousand pieces and left him drenched, with empty arms.”

Laini Taylor
“You’re a storyteller. Dream up something wild and improbable," she pleaded. "Something beautiful and full of monsters."

“Beautiful and full of monsters?"

“All the best stories are.”

Laini Taylor
“It was a different life out here, but make no mistake: Lazlo was every bit the dreamer he had always been, if not more. He might have left his books, but he carried all his stories with him.”

Laini Taylor
“He had loved the library, and had felt, as a boy, as though it had a kind of sentience, and perhaps loved him back. But even if it was just walls and a roof with papers inside, it had bewitched him, and drawn him in, and given him everything he needed to become himself.”

Laini Taylor
“As for fairy tales, he understood that they were reflections of the people who had spun them, and were flecked with little truths - intrusions of reality into fantasy, like toast crumbs on a wizard's beard.”

Laini Taylor
“She had inherited a story that was strewn with corpses and clotted with enmity, and was only trying to stay alive in it.”

December 24, 2015 – Shelved
December 24, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
April 28, 2017 – Started Reading
April 28, 2017 –
5.0% "omg i have never related to a character so much as Lazlo Strange. HE WALKED INTO A WALL BECAUSE HE WAS READING.
#relatable"
April 29, 2017 –
10.0% "*Lazlo is obsessed with helping the golden boy alchemist*
Me: OOH DO I SPY A SHIP!
*alchemist massively steals Lazlo's books*
Me: ON SECOND THOUGHTS, I'M GONNA KILL HIM."
May 4, 2017 –
30.0% "That moment when Lazlo gets so excited about being on an adventure that he starts narrating out loud in 3rd person.
WHAT A DORK.
I LOVE HIM."
May 10, 2017 –
50.0% "Lazlo: *wins a wager and gets lots of money*
Lazlo: omg I'm going to be lavish and treat myself
Lazlo: *buys 4 pairs of socks*"
May 11, 2017 –
55.0% "Everyone: The gods are terrible monsters!
Me: Awww but I like monsters...
Everyone: They destroyed the library.
Me: [SPLUTTERS]
Me: WELL DEATH THEN."
May 15, 2017 –
70.0% "Lazlo is the most hugest most precious Hufflepuff of them all as he invites a monster into his dreams and feeds her teas and cakes and will fight you most assuredly if you say she's not lovely."
May 19, 2017 –
page 455
84.89% "Lazlo just dreamed himself dragon wings.

*aggressively slams fist on the table*

5 stars"
May 20, 2017 –
page 513
95.71% "MY FEELINGS HAVE BEEN HURT.

I PROTEST.

May 21, 2017 – Finished Reading
September 10, 2018 – Started Reading
September 17, 2018 –
page 199
37.13% "I love this book immensely (hence I am rereading) but I'd also like to point out that it is the size of a small continent and if I stood on it I would be of normal height."
September 20, 2018 –
page 237
44.22% "reasons Lazlo is the sweetest of all

- says sorry for saying sorry too much
- pinnacle of dreaming involves rainbows and cakes
- will share his fairy tales with you even if you don't deserve it
- smiles shyly
- literally just exists he is so sweet omg"
September 22, 2018 –
page 341
63.62% "I can't help but sort other book characters into Hogwarts houses 😂😂so my (tentative) sorting is:

Lazlo: Ravenclaw (or is he a huffle??)
Sarai: hufflepuff
Calixte: slytherin"
September 25, 2018 – Shelved as: reread
September 25, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
September 25, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)

message 1: by Charley (new)

Charley Robson WantwantwantwantWANT

message 2: by Twila (new)

Twila Wow! I got to read this!!

message 3: by Wendi (new) - added it

Wendi Lee I really want to read this!

Dashie IT WAS A MAGICAL JOURNEY NO?

Jessi Yes, all of this, yes! I also listened to the audio, and I quickly switched from my usual 1.75x speed to 1.25x, just to savor it and really soak in the quality of the writing. It was so beautiful. Also, 100%, Steve West was the perfect choice to read this--his voice is angelic.

C.G. Drews IT IS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL BOOK I'VE READ THIS YEAR HONESTLY MY HEART IS SO FULL OF LOVE FOR WORDS AND MAGIC RIGHT NOW. <3 <3 <3

Kris YEEESSSSS I'M SO GLAD YOU LOVED IT AS MUCH AS I DID I KNEW YOU WOULD. I KNEW IT.
Lazlo is a cinnamon roll and he is adorable and yes he has the best name ever and nightmare girls and YES YES YES TO EVERYTHING YOU WROTE IN THIS REVIEW. Especially that um thing you wrote about the golden godson and lazlo ;) ;) Totally a secondary ship for me as well.

C.G. Drews @Kris: Mwahhaha we can just quietly non-canon ship that, right? ;)

Angela C OMG yes to the "secondary ship," I was so hoping it would be the primary one haha.

Keerthana I thought I was the only one who shipped Thyon and Lazlo at first!!!!! And I was so happy he was such a Hufflepuff. Also I wanna live in his dreams just like Sarai wants. Could you find the plot twist at first time the author gave a hint?? I could. But I never expected the ending even though it was so obvious. I'm scared for my cinnamon buns in the next book😥😩

message 11: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Angela: WELL. Sequel...hhaha ahe.m.

@Keerthana: When Thyon stole all his books tho...omg I was livid. I wanted to punch his golden godson face. And I kind of figured (view spoiler)

Keerthana Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "@Angela: WELL. Sequel...hhaha ahe.m.

@Keerthana: When Thyon stole all his books tho...omg I was livid. I wanted to punch his golden godson face. And I kind of figured [spoilers removed]"

message 13: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Keerthana: (view spoiler)

Inja (pages.jpg) For the first couple of chapters I really thought that this book will sail the Lazlo and Nero direction. I was kinda shock that Sarai entered the picture. Hahahah seriously though. The helping the golden boy-and golden boy pride gets hurt- plot is like the beginning of cat dog turned romance thing. But anyway, everyone you said is true. This book is pure magic. And that ending??? I mean, seriously? That's how Laini wants to torture us? Hahaha

Keerthana Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "@Keerthana: [spoilers removed]"

Hanna Bella I also ship Nero and Strange ✨✨

Wendy I never listen to fiction on audiobooks, but I did with this one because it was the first way I was able to obtain the book, and I agree--the lush prose would have driven me MAD if I had read it myself, but listening to it was so dreamy. And when we first meet Thyron and there's this weirdness between the two boys, I completely thought they were secret lovers.

may ➹ Now I want this so bad??? THANKS A LOT, CAIT. I mean, I lowkey wanted it (lowkey because I read Daughter of Smoke and Bone and it was okaaaaaaaaaay), but now I want it MORE. ASDFGHJKL

Abigail Glad I'm not the only one who shipped Lazlo with Thyron Nero. :D

message 20: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Lou OMG YES I'M SO GLAD YOU LOVED THIS ONE BECAUSE I DID TOO AND I HAVE A BEAUTIFUL UK SIGNED COPY FROM FAIRYLOOT I'M SO IN LOVE ARGH WHEN WILL THE SEQUEL BE HERE PLEASE NOW

Taylor Gilmore I just finished this and I am destroyed?!?! Minya is the villain you have to love to hate but Lazlo my precious child deserves the world. I need the aquel sooooo bad

COMPLETELY_BOOKISH What age do you think this book would be appropriate for? How explicit is the sexual content?

Charlotte Elise omg what is Lazlo and Sarai's ship name because gods I ship it so much!!!! Sazlo? ;)

Ashleigh I'm glad this book made you so happy because that makes me happy :)

Morgan OMG I just finished this last night and I'm glad I'm not alone with the slow narration! Though I was listening at bedtime so it was okay, but if I'd turned it on any other time I would have gone right to sleep.
Will have to do a Scorpio re-read since he narrates that when I need more bedtime stories. ;)

message 26: by Elke (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elke I love your secondary ship! My life is better now that that's also a possibility in my head :D

BookHugger i'm reading this for the first time now too!!!

Helena of Eretz ✰ Your reviews are everything <3

message 29: by Nita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nita Pan That book messed me up.