Essie Harmon's Reviews > Bereft Reality

Bereft Reality by James   Summers

Dec 23, 2015

this novel “Bereft Reality” reads like a steamy, X-rated soap opera! And I mean that in a good way :-). So much drama and what an emotional roller coaster! So many crazy things happen I feel like this could be a movie. Although there were some parts that I thought weren’t really necessary and slowed down the pace some, overall it was well done and was a lot hotter than I expected it to be. There is much more to this story than just some sex and violence, although that does play a pretty central role, but one with complex plotlines that will keep you hooked through the end. A powerful, memorable read. This is first novel I’ve read by James Summers, and to be honest I really wasn’t sure it would be my thing, but I really liked it. He has a gift for writing descriptive and life-like scenes that make us feel like we are really there inside the story, in the character’s heads (for better or worse…). I like that this book didn’t feel stale or derivative, but instead like a new niche of psychological suspense that serves well to help diversify a somewhat cookie-cutter erotica genre (in my opinion). I did notice some minor editing mistakes that could be handled with a good proofreader, but overall the entire novel was one that I thought was well-executed and delivered an emotional, if not slightly disturbing win in the end. Ages 18+.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bereft Reality.

Finished Reading