Nancy Shaffer's Reviews > The Three-Body Problem

The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin

10209485

liked it
bookshelves: solar-system, interstellar

** spoiler alert ** 2015's Cloud Atlas: a somewhat offbeat tour-de-force whose character motivations ultimately strain credulity just a bit. Every time someone went into the three - body game, I wanted to skip over those parts. I didn't see the appeal of the Trisolaran culture as depicted in the game. In fact, I found it repugnant. So I couldn't really understand its appeal to the characters.

A lot of this book relied on tell-don't-show, flashback, and pure info dump to get the entire story told in a reasonable length.

The Chinese cultural setting is the most interesting and refreshing part of the book. Well, that and the living computer circuit scene.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Three-Body Problem.

December 23, 2015 – Started Reading
December 23, 2015 – Shelved
January 2, 2016 – Finished Reading
June 9, 2019 – Shelved as: solar-system
June 9, 2019 – Shelved as: interstellar

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

Cornerofmadness I had similar issues with this book. I thought it was interesting but a little slow.

Nancy Shaffer Maybe it was "reading" this via audiobook, but something about the reader's delivery made this book seem to develop at a snail's pace. Perhaps that cannot all be blamed on the reader after all.

;)

Cornerofmadness Nancy wrote: "Maybe it was "reading" this via audiobook, but something about the reader's delivery made this book seem to develop at a snail's pace. Perhaps that cannot all be blamed on the reader after all.

;)"

No, not really. It was honestly slow. I wasn't moved to pick up the next one even though I was interested in the fact I was reading something from a Chinese author, not somethng that happens every day. The translation was good but I did wonder if some things were lost in translation (some of the cultural bits)

Nancy Shaffer There's a next one? In this series, or just buy the author in general? I could see a continuation, mainly because the story ended on an ambiguous note with some characters thinking humanity could survive and some characters thinking they could not.

Cornerofmadness Well the above GR title says this is #1 so I assume there will be others

Nancy Shaffer Yikes, is there any science fiction or fantasy novel that's not part of the series anymore? Seriously.

Cornerofmadness Nancy wrote: "Yikes, is there any science fiction or fantasy novel that's not part of the series anymore? Seriously."

Publishers want series....

Nancy Shaffer It's an interested new trend, because only a few years ago, they wanted only the new. Until they realized giving loyal fans more of the same could make them money.

But it is a trend, and I fear it will run its course. Perhaps after diminishing quality in sequels brings in less money than hoped.

I love continuing stories. I always leave a good story wanting to know, "what happened next?" but I hate stories that ruin themselves by forcing out sequels when there's no good story left to tell.

Cornerofmadness I agree with you. I read heavily in a series heavy genre (Mysteries) which has been for decades but yeah eventually the series run their course and not everyone jumps ship when they should or contractually can't. I'm the one who usually jumps once two or three books in a row start to suck