Indigo's Reviews > Switched

Switched by Amanda Hocking

Feb 12, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: changelings, magic, new-york, teen, young-adult
Read from February 12 to 15, 2011

Wendy Everly was six when her mother's reaction to a tantrum over chocolate birthday cake was to try to kill Wendy.

Turns out Wendy's crazy mother, who insisted all along that Wendy was not her child -- was right. Wendy was a Changeling, switched at birth with a human child, and the family she'd been left with could sense the truth.

This is what attracted me to try Amanda Hocking's story at 99 cents; because I can identify (like I imagine many people can, adult or teen) with the idea of feeling like you don't belong with this family, but that your awesome, real family is out there waiting for you to find them. But like the Dollar Menu, you get what you pay for.

There was potential. We could've seen how difficult it was for Wendys remaining family to care for and protect her. We could've seen what Wendy did to repeatredly get expelled, but all we get is the mention of it by Wendy and little else.

We get introduced to icy Queen Elora and her rival Aurora. The pervy adult chancellor. Rhys, the kid she was switched with, Finn, the stalker who becomes the love interest, and Tove, who is so gifted he has a hard time focusing when not using his gifts.

Very little happens to develop any of them, but the story somehow manages to be interesting enough that I'm mildly curious what comes next. Mildly. If the next two are also 99 cents.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Switched.

02/12/2011
35.0% "Interesting so far. I DL'ed it because the mother issue made me curious."
02/13/2011
55.0% "Mm. More of the bad editing and proofreading that seems prevalent these days - also the heroine talks about how much of a willful brat she is but she barely stands up for herself. Frustrating."