Tyson Adams's Reviews > Ice Station

Ice Station by Matthew Reilly

Feb 12, 2011

Read 2 times. Last read September 14, 2018 to September 21, 2018.

Suddenly I have a sudden urge to suddenly write a review of this book. Very sudden.

Shane "Scarecrow" Schofield has been dispatched to Wilkes Station after receiving their distress call. Some of the Wilkes science team have mysteriously disappeared after finding an unidentified "alien" craft deep under the ice. His crack team of Marines arrive to find they aren't the only ones who responded. Clearly, more than one nation are interested in securing the craft, less so rescuing the scientists. With no support, and enemies coming from everywhere, Scarecrow will have to stay alive long enough to be in even more danger.

I can't remember exactly when I first read Ice Station, but it must have been roughly a decade ago. It has been interesting to revisit a novel I enjoyed from an author who reinvigorated my love of reading. Some books lose their magic the second time around, and Ice Station, despite its fun and fast-paced narrative, wasn't the novel I remembered.

Ice Station was still entertaining but the flaws stuck out this time. I found myself laughing a little bit everytime Reilly used the word sudden or suddenly. I'm not sure if I'm being too harsh or too forgiving - I derided a book for using a phrase I saw in this book - so I'll have to revisit all of Reilly's novels to check.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ice Station.

October, 2008 – Started Reading