Abby's Reviews > The No-No List: How to Spot Mr. Wrong So You Can Find Mr. Right

The No-No List by Venus Rouhani

bookshelves: reviews, nonfiction, 2015

This was an interesting read that was rather insightful. One of the main points of the book is that you must be honest with yourself in order to understand what you actually want in a partner. I completely agree- I think people far too often lie to themselves in order to rationalize things without taking the time to understand their own feelings and preferences. Now- to be clear, this book doesn't promote a judge-y approach to dating. The author simply asks you to be honest with yourself and examine what kind of behaviors are triggers for you, or things that you absolutely could not live with in a relationship so that when you are in the process of looking for or starting a relationship you are prepared. By figuring out ahead of time what would be on you 'no-no list' as the author calls it, it is less likely that you would ignore signs that your potential partner exhibits behaviors that you know you couldn't live with. People are experts at rationalizing concerns away, by forcing yourself to honestly examine your own behavior and needs it is more likely that this rationalization will not occur. I enjoyed that the author gave examples of couples throughout the book, including her own marriage. Though I might not use the template she provided for listing and ranking how important items on a 'no-no list', I found her advice to be insightful as well as logical and I would use the methodology.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The No-No List.

Finished Reading