Cathy/The Crazy Bookworm's Reviews > Dark Mirror

Dark Mirror by M.J. Putney

Feb 11, 2011

M.J Putney penned a refreshing, magical book. Creating a lovely reading experience. You are transported back and forth through time, visiting the 1800's and then the beginning of WWII.

Lady Victoria Mansfield(Tory) is the daughter of an earl. She discovers that she is a mage, her blood tainted with magic, but instead of being accepted by her family, she is punished, and immediately sent to Lackland Abbey. The boarding school is a place where other magelings are sent by their families to be cured of their magical abilities, you are taught how to suppress your magic.

The book started off a little slow for me, but that didn't last. The book picks up quickly. The author did a fantastic job at the character development. Each character is introduced smoothly, not overwhelming you with unnecessary descriptions and details. Tory is a very strong character. She is not bossy or arrogant but she will stand her ground firmly. Putney did a great job at keeping the writing style true to the era. The words flowed nicely and the language was classic and simple. The book is geared for young adults but I believe any age could enjoy this book.

The premise for this book definitely peeked my interest but I was still unsure about what I would find inside the pages. The book definitely surprised me. I knew I would enjoy it, but I didn't know how much I was actually going to like it. It's magically adventurous storyline, charming characters and simple writing style made it easy for me to love the book. I looked forward to relaxing on the couch, and being whisked away into the world M.J Putney created for us. It was a great getaway! This book has so much to offer, time travel, romance, magic and adventure...What's not to enjoy? I would definitely recommend this book, there is something for everyone. Can't wait for book 2 in the series The Dark Passage coming in September 2011.

What I loved: The charming and likable characters. The enjoyable reading experience
What I disliked: The slow-paced beginning. Didn't really pick up for me until she arrived at Lackland Abbey.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Mirror.