Angie's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult, fantasy

Synopsis: "Harry Potter has never played a sport while flying on a broomstick. He's never worn a Cloak of Invisibility, befriended a giant, or helped hatch a dragon. All Harry knows is a miserable life with the Dursleys, his horrible aunt and uncle, and their abominable son, Dudley. Harry's room is a tiny cupboard under the stairs, and he hasn't had a birthday party in ten years.

But all that is about to change when a mysterious letter arrives by owl messenger: a letter with an invitation to a wonderful place he never dreamed existed. There he finds not only friends, aerial sports, and magic around every corner, but a great destiny that's been waiting for him... if Harry can survive the encounter."

My Review (1/9/2014): I know I am super late to this party, but I finally have the series in my hands so I can read it. I have to say I am a little disappointed. I really have no idea what all the hype was about and am totally confused. It was a fun book to read but not so outstanding that I would rave about it. It took me quite a while to get into the story and writing style, it was a little overly descriptive for my liking. I wasn't a fan of most of the characters. Harry Potter is just too much the underdog yet too perfectly able to accomplish everything. I did however really like Hagrid & Dumbledore. All that said, I was glad when the story started to pick up steam near the end, about the last 75 pages, but then again just as it got going it ended. It was an enjoyable read but not worth the craziness that surrounded it, but I will continue to read the series since I do have them all.

Note: I have also avoided watching the movies (I have caught brief glimpses but have not seen any of them all the way through) so that isn't swaying my review.

My Review (Updated 12-21-2016): It has been nearly 3 years I last attempted to read the Harry Potter series, I am reading along with the NovelTeaClub on Facebook. I have to admit that reading with other people has helped me appreciate the story a little more (that or my expectations have just dropped in adjustment for my past experience). I am still not a fan of any of the characters except Hagrid and maybe Dumbledore. I really have an issue with the beginning of the book and I had a little chat with a couple other readers and authors about this but I feel like I should say it here too (and would be happy to discuss with any of you as well). I felt at the beginning of the book that I was being manipulated by Rowling into feeling sympathy for Harry, and that just irked me to the point where I don't feel anything toward him at all. I have in the past found sympathy for other characters due to their situations but it wasn't so blatant and forced, I was more lead into those feelings. Maybe it is due to the fact that this is for a younger audience but I think some credit should be given to those young readers, and emotions and situations shouldn't be dumbed down and spelled out for them. Again I find it all too convenient that Harry is able to get away with so much and always come out the hero (yes he had help but it wasn't enough to make it a team effort). I will continue with the group read and hopefully make it all the way through the series finally.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

February 11, 2011 – Shelved
71.25% (Hardcover Edition)
December 12, 2016 –
page 262
81.88% (Hardcover Edition)

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Susan Keep reading. The story develops a lot more throughout the series and I think you'll enjoy it more as you get into it. The first 2 or 3 aren't quite as dark as the later ones, because they are meant for the younger audience. But once you get to Goblet of Fire, it starts to get more intense. Order of the Phoenix ticked me off the first time I read it because there are some REALLY vile characters. Be prepared for that. But stick with it and I think you'll end up liking it.