Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth's Reviews > The Mistake

The Mistake by Elle Kennedy

7420520
4.5 Groveling Stars

I am a huge fan of Elle Kennedy's writing. She is capable of mixing drama and humor like no other author I know. This time she gives us the King of Grovel.

John Logan has a thing for the girlfriend of his best friend Garrett. If you have read The Deal you know who I'm talking about. If not...*ding ding* go back and read The Deal. STAT! Of course he knows that going after his friend's girlfriend is frowned upon so he is miserable. He tries to avoid them at all cost.
Logan is also a bit of a manwhore although he does have standards when it comes to girls. On the outside he is the popular, successful hockey player. As it happens though he is only putting up a front. Logan isn't all that happy because of a secret he doesn't reveal, not even to his best friend.

A chance encounter because he knocks on the wrong door brings Grace into his life. She is funny and smart and has the cute habit of babbling when she gets nervous. They hit it off instantly and when campus drama reaches Grace Logan is there to save the day. Until he fucks it up badly.

“To be honest, it’s probably better if I don’t talk. Cute guys make me nervous. Like tongued-tied total-brain-malfunction nervous. All my filters shut off and suddenly I’m telling them about the time I peed my pants in the third grade during a field trip to the maple syrup factory, or how I’m scared of puppets and have mild OCD that could possibly drive me to tidy up your room the moment you turn your head.”

Grace is an endearing strong character who can hold a mean grudge. And God, she makes Logan work for forgiveness. She also didn't let Logan (or her best friend for that matter) walk all over her. She stood her ground and wasn't a pushover.
And Logan, former bad boy, is up to the challenge to win his girl back and goes to great lengths to make sure Grace knows who she belongs to. Logan is hot, sweet and sometimes wise beyond years and other times too dopey to see what is right in front of him. I loved how he went out of his way to save Grace from the campus hyenas.

“And just in case my reaction to your idiocy didn’t make it clear where I stand with us, then let me spell it out for you.” I whirl around to scowl at him. “I love you, you stupid jackass.”

Of course we get to see the whole crew again and there is some pure comedy gold in their dialogues:

"Just out of curiosity, what constitutes a 'nice cock shot'? I mean, is it the lighting? The pose?"
I’m being sarcastic, but Dean responds in a solemn voice. “Well, the trick is, you’ve gotta keep the balls out of it.”
"Seriously," Dean insists. "Balls aren't photogenic. Women don't want to see them."

Here is another gem:

“I nod in approval. “Damn. I should go into modeling.”
“You photograph really well,” Garrett agrees in a serious voice. “And dude, your package looks huge.”
Fuck, it totally does.”

The pace of their relationship was credible and there was a lot of steam and dirty talk involved. The way their feelings for each other developed was natural and believable. I loved their chemistry and how they were there for each other. And finally I adored their honesty and sincerity they showed once they decided to go all in.

Whenever I read a book written or co-authored by Elle Kennedy I know I'm in for a great time. So I'm looking forward to reading the next one in this series.

My review @ Coffee, Cookies & Books

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mistake.

December 21, 2015 – Shelved
December 21, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
February 29, 2016 – Started Reading
March 15, 2016 –
March 17, 2016 –
March 19, 2016 –
55.0% "Wow this girl holds a mean grudge..."
March 20, 2016 –
March 20, 2016 – Shelved as: sweet-heroine
March 20, 2016 – Shelved as: sweet-hero
March 20, 2016 – Shelved as: swoon
March 20, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

✦❋Arianna✦❋ Fantastic review, sweets! ;) Glad you loved it! xx

message 2: by Maya (new) - added it

Maya Wonderful review, hun! :D

Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth Thank you lovely ladies xx

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession Awesome review sweetie :)