Chris (The Genre Fiend)'s Reviews > How Star Wars Conquered the Universe: The Past, Present, and Future of a Multibillion Dollar Franchise

How Star Wars Conquered the Universe by Chris     Taylor

Chris Taylor manages to eruditely say a lot of what I've never been able to when it comes to Star Wars. This is a lovingly written and exhaustively researched companion, detailing the history of George Lucas, the pulp science fiction scene, the evolution of digital filmmaking and, of course, Star Wars itself.

How Star Wars Conquered the Universe is informative, comedic, reverential and critical all at once; above all, though, it's never boring. I hesitate to say anything is the "Definitive" version of a thing, given that our definitions of things change on a daily basis, but I'd say Taylor's work is as close as we'll probably ever come. It smartly cannibalises aspects from multiple established sources - including Alan Arnold's "Once Upon a Galaxy" and Michael Kaminski's "The Secret History of Star Wars" - and touches on damn near every name, for good or ill, associated with Star Wars: Lucas. McCallum. Coppola. Kurtz. Kennedy. Abrams. Kershner. Marquand. Ainsworth. Binks.

The book also divides its history of the franchise, interspersing the narrative journey with chapters exploring the contemporary impact of Star Wars on the real world. The diehard fans of the R2 Builders Club and the 501st are highlighted as the end result of Lucas's "little space thing" that began in the 70s, and continues far into the future.

Taylor's own view is present, but never becomes didactic; his writing clearly demonstrates his great love for the films, the characters and the universe, even if he's not afraid to gently knock the prequels or put Lucas in his place when his claims contradict each other across decades.

This is, quite simply, an engrossing, compendious book that illuminates the Star Wars franchise like no lightsaber's glow ever could. Definitely one for Lucas enthusiasts, pop culture scholars and, of course, Star Wars fans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Star Wars Conquered the Universe.

December 20, 2015 – Shelved
December 20, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
December 27, 2015 – Started Reading
December 27, 2015 –
page 27
December 29, 2015 –
page 61
13.56% "Great so far. A meticulous but engaging read."
January 6, 2016 –
page 102
January 7, 2016 –
page 142
January 10, 2016 –
page 328
January 11, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro Glad to know that the book is that good. I hope to read it in this year.

Chris (The Genre Fiend) It's great. A must for fans of the franchise!