Wollstonecrafthomegirl's Reviews > Last Night's Scandal

Last Night's Scandal by Loretta Chase

Probably more like 3.5 stars but I'm rounding up because of Loretta Chase Bonus Fun Points. Give the woman her due, even when the book isn't that good, it's still damned entertaining.

I was rooting for a Lisle and Olivia book (see my ridiculously gushing Lord Perfect review) and here it is. In some respects very satisfying. I love that Olivia is still OTT and clever and adventurous. Lisle is still a balancing influence to her and it worked nicely (although perhaps it didn't quite live up to my expectations? Perhaps it never could). The sexual tension was off the charts good. Lisle's reaction to seeing a fully grown (she has boobs!) Olivia for the first time is beautifully written, his socks had been knocked off and, boy, could you tell. The sex, as ever: is great. Although the word 'globes' really does need to Die In A Fire. Their banter and interactions were great.

The story was weak. I didn't care for the adventure to Scotland and the ghosts etc. I also thought that Chase put huge obstacles in the way of Olivia and Lisle being together, even cruel ones - Lisle's characterisation of her as a sandstorm, killing no one but destroying everything was brutal - and then those obstacles were rather too easily and quickly resolved.

But for all that, I read this with great enthusiasm. I wish it had been more, but that's because Chase is so brilliant and has set herself up some serious expectations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Night's Scandal.

December 20, 2015 – Shelved
December 20, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
July 29, 2016 – Started Reading
July 31, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Desi Great review. Something was missing from this book. Perhaps a greater opportunity for him to realize he wanted her through interaction within society rather than her just being available to him when he's ready to accept her and deigns to disregard what he sees as her flaws.

Wollstonecrafthomegirl Desi wrote: "Great review. Something was missing from this book. Perhaps a greater opportunity for him to realize he wanted her through interaction within society rather than her just being available to him whe..."

Absolutely right and well put. I wanted Lisle to come to appreciate Olivia's brilliance, and it just didn't happen within this story structure. This was enjoyable, but won't be a re-read for me.