Michèle's Reviews > Creative Schools: The Grassroots Revolution That's Transforming Education

Creative Schools by Ken Robinson

Ever since I watched Ken Robinson's famous TED Talk he has been an inspiration to me. This book was a good refresher on education transformation with a bit more practical advice on how to go about making changes in education. The best quote and piece of good advice from his book for me was this one:

"Benjamin Franklin once said that there are three sorts of people in the world: those who are immovable, those who are movable, and those who move. We know what he meant. Some people don't see the need for change and don't want to. They squat like boulders in a stream while the flow of events rushes around them. My advice is to leave them alone. Tide and time are on the side of transformation, and the currents of change may leave them behind.

There are those who are movable. They see the need for change. They may not know what to do, but they're open to being convinced and to act if they are. Work with them and go where their energy is. Form partnerships and make dreams and plans.

And there are those who move: the change agents who can see the shape of a different future and are determined to bring it about through their own actions and by working with others. They know they don't always need permission. As Gandhi said, if you want to change the world, you must be the change you want to see. Because when enough people move, that is a movement. And if that movement has enough energy, that is revolution. And in education, that's exactly what we need."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Creative Schools.

December 20, 2015 – Started Reading