Victoria Strauss's Reviews > Pirates of the Caribbean: The Price of Freedom

Pirates of the Caribbean by A.C. Crispin

First, a disclaimer: I'm Ann's friend and colleague, and I haven't just read "The Price of Freedom," I witnessed its creation. But I'm speaking as a reader, not a friend, when I say this is a terrific book.

"The Price of Freedom" covers an earlier period of Jack Sparrow's life--before the first of the POTC movies--and tells the story of how he became a pirate. Ann's an experienced tie-in writer, and she has a unique knack for capturing the heart and soul of familiar characters (there's a reason she's a New York Times best-selling author). Jack, Barbossa, and others come to vivid life on the page, and fans of the movies will be able to see and hear them as they read. Fans will especially enjoy exploring different aspects of Jack's character, and learning about his life in Shipwreck Cove...and what happened to make him leave it.

But make no mistake--this isn't just a novel for POTC fans. It's a complete stand-alone swashbuckling adventure, with mysterious treasure hunts, exciting battle scenes, exotic magics, menacing villains, a touch of romance, enough authentic nautical detail to satisfy even the most die-hard Patrick O'Brian fan, and, of course, pirates. There's humor, suspense, and a serious treatment of the issue of man's inhumanity to man. In other words--something for everyone. You don't need to have seen the POTC movies--or even to have heard of them--to enjoy and appreciate this wonderful novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pirates of the Caribbean.

Started Reading
January 1, 2010 – Finished Reading
February 10, 2011 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Royce (new)

Royce Mathew A. Crispin - what are you doing about this? - What the Walt Disney Company has done is that they have stolen my creative work/story & characters and used it for the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie - and the sequels - (for the 4th film, they then licensed the rights to the book On Stranger Tides and incorporated that.) Then with A. Crispin's book - they gave her / hired her to take my characters and fictional inventions (such as the eccentric pirate and the pirate ship the Black Pearl) and to create a back story for them. Thus by her involvement for a book deal, A. Crispin is both perpetuating and assisting Disney with the theft and exploitation of my creative work. My website has documents and photo proof of my fight for accountability - and thus she should step forward and address the serious issue(s) at hand. See photo proof of the Walt Disney Company’s fraud, corruption and criminal acts in regards to the Pirates of the Caribbean movie franchise and my ongoing fight for accountability over the theft of my supernatural pirate story - www.disneylawsuit.com

I welcome all communications - and will provide link to an 2011 online interview - Royce Mathew

message 2: by A.c. (new)

A.c. Crispin Dear Mr. Mathew:

I wish to make clear, however, that you did not write The Price of Freedom, as The Write Agenda sock puppet was implying. -I- wrote it, and at the time I wrote it I was completely unaware of any litigation that had been filed.

You might want to check out The Write Agenda site. It's a hate site, and nothing else, set up by people with an axe to grind against Writer Beware (www.writerbeware.com). If these people are who we think they are, allying yourself with them would not redound to your credit in the courts, since they're already in considerable trouble with the authorities.

Sincerely,

-Ann C. Crispin
Chair, Writer Beware
www.writerbeware.com

message 3: by Royce (new)

Royce Mathew Ann C. Crispin -

I am an independent artist, with credentials who is actively fighting for accountability over the theft of my creative work.., and I have never claimed I wrote the book The Price of Freedom. Yet that book was built off of my creative property that includes my supernatural pirate story, characters and fictional inventions. If you read my statement/letter/posting - it states that the facts prove that the Walt Disney Company has engaged in criminal acts that involve them stealing my creative work including my original story, characters, and fictional inventions for their Pirates of the Caribbean movie franchise (starting with the first movie The Curse of the Black Pearl). Photo proof of this is on my website www.disneylawsuit.com which has been filed with government agencies and with the court(s).

Then after my creative work was illegally branded as a Disney creative property, it was then given to you, which you were evidently hired, to take my characters and fictional inventions (such as the eccentric pirate and the pirate ship the Black Pearl) and to create a back story for them. Thus the Walt Disney Company has been bringing other people into their company circle with which to help them to further profit and exploit my creative property. Either knowingly or unknowingly, yours, as well as Johnny Depp, and others, have been all perpetuating and assisting Disney with the theft and exploitation of my creative work.

May I point out that my fight for accountability and righteousness is all over the internet - and I will continue to lawfully seek justice and accountability in regards to the theft and exploitation of my creative work, as well as against the Walt Disney Company’s corrupt and criminal legacy of Michael Eisner, that still continues with Robert Iger and Michael Eisner. Here is a recent 2011 online interview with me (Royce Mathew) in regards to my career which involves Disney, Michael Eisner, Marty Sklar and more...

In closing, you, as well as others, have a choice - which is to either ignore the documented facts as you (directly or indirectly) aided and continue to profit from Disney’s criminal actions - or you can do something positive about it.

- I welcome all communications and interviews as this serious matter is far from over.

Royce

Victoria Strauss Thanks for your comments, Royce. I too was unaware of your lawsuit before you contacted me (at my Writer Beware email address) two weeks ago. I'll be interested to follow your progress.

I have to echo Ann's caution about being careful with whom you associate yourself. If you're looking for allies, The Write Agenda is a dubious one to choose. Any overtures it may have made toward you are intended to further its own agenda--to discredit Ann and others who warn about scams in the book publishing world--not to help you with your cause.

message 5: by Royce (new)

Royce Mathew Victoria

My website disneylawsuit.com details many things including how Disney has engaged in additional corrupt acts with which to make it seem that my supernatural pirate story, characters and fictional inventions are part of their Pirates of the Caribbean ride attraction. For example my pirate ship is the Black Pearl, owned by the eccentric pirate, while the pirate ship in the Pirates of the Caribbean ride attraction (for over thirty years) is the Wicked Wench owned by a generic captain pirate. Yet Disney is instructing those hired by them to make it suddenly owned by an eccentric pirate, and that the Wicked Wench was later burned, sunk, raised and renamed the Black Pearl. Yes, I am naturally angry to see my creative work stolen (via Ted Elliott, Terry Rossio & condoned by Michael Eisner) exploited, used and credited to others. Meanwhile via Jason Surrell, Marty Sklar and others, Disney is doing various things with which to help them obscure the facts/truth behind the origins of the supernatural pirate story / characters / fictional inventions (which I own).

Johnny Depp / his sister (his partner/manager) could have sent an assistant or attorney to review all of the documents but he didn’t. Instead he is profiting without showing any concern whatsoever. Meanwhile Ann Crispin and others are also profiting - and if they don’t know about it, then now they do. No doubt that Ann Crispin is an experience author - however, as I have stated - she as others, have a choice - which is to either ignore the documented facts as they (directly or indirectly) aided and continue to profit from Disney’s criminal actions - or they can do something positive about it and demand answers.

Royce

message 6: by James (last edited Aug 10, 2011 10:31AM) (new) - added it

James Before I begin, let me make some basic things perfectly clear:
(1) Though I am a Goodreads Librarian, I have not been directed by the Goodreads staff to address this in an official capacity, therefore, the thoughts and opinions I have expressed below should not be interpreted as representative of the opinion or policy of Goodreads itself.
(2) I am not a close acquaintance of A.C. Crispin or Victoria Strauss, nor am I affiliated in any way with their publishing industry watchdog group, Writer Beware, therefore, my thoughts and opinions should not be interpreted as representative of that entity, either.
(3) I am speaking for myself and offering my personal assessments, thoughts, and opinions regarding this topic.

While you may have valid claims, Royce - and apparently are upset with a LOT of people - I don't believe that Goodreads is the proper forum for such accusations and discussions. You have made your point and your website presents material that may be of value to you in a legal case, and that is where you should concentrate your efforts.

Although A.C. Crispin may be profiting from Pirates of the Caribbean: The Price of Freedom, it appears that she currently possesses both the legal and moral right to do so - unless and until this is proven otherwise in a court of law. She has stated, "If the US courts sustain your claims, I will certainly comply with any directives they give me. I am a law-abiding individual."

So, until such time as you have made your case in the courts, and the court has rendered a decision, it appears to be of far greater benefit for you to focus your attention on your legal battle with the source of your grievances, the Walt Disney Coompany, rather than muddying the waters by attempting to draw others into your legal battle -- or, if you'd rather dilute your credibility and leverage, you might just as well sue everyone who has seen the movies in the theaters, bought the DVDs or BluRays, dressed as Jack Sparrow at a gaming convention, etc.

If you have legal action pending v. Walt Disney Company or individuals within the Disney Company, then it is pointless to lash out at everyone and anyone who is connected with Pirates of the Caribbean. It should be obvious to you that not everyone is involved in a diabolical and insidious conspiracy to steal your idea. I hadn't even heard about any legal struggle until I wandered across the preceding comments, but that fact does not and will not alter my intention of purchasing and reading Pirates of the Caribbean: The Price of Freedom because if you win your case in the courts, then it is the duty of the courts to ensure you are justly compensated to whatever extent that the law is able.

It should also have occurred to you that author A.C. Crispin has spent many hours in the crafting of her novel and is, as co-founder of the Writer Beware watchdog group, perhaps, the least likely individual to participate in or condone theft of intellectual property.

Good luck with your legal proceedings, Royce, but please conduct them via legal channels rather than within the confines of Goodreads.

James K. Bowers

message 7: by Roy (new)

Roy James -

This matter is not a private legal fight for accountability - as Disney is a publicly traded company using various people (knowingly or unknowingly) to aid their corrupt and criminal actions. If A.C. Crispin / Depp or whoever can profit from it - then certainly they have the resources to check to see if the material provided to them was lawfully obtained - and to contact me - as my website with the documented facts is not an illusion. Everyone who purchases products have the obligation to know the facts behind the source. I am offended and it is insulting that you refer that I have no say in what Disney does with my creative work which includes that A.C. Crispin exploiting my story, characters and fictional inventions without my approval. When there is documented illegal activity as shown with photo proof on my website, then Crispin should be demanding answers, not telling me that she will wait and see. You should be outraged, and not telling me that I will later be compensated. I don't want Crispin or anyone to exploit my creative work. Thus I will continue to respectfully seek accountability using all forums, intelligent discussion and such of which involves holding those responsible accountable for stealing my creative work as well as all those who exploit and profit from my creative work.

Royce Mathew