tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE's Reviews > Why Birds Sing: A Journey Into the Mystery of Bird Song

Why Birds Sing by David Rothenberg

bookshelves: music, nature

Absolutely great. Thanks to my old pal Michael Pestel, David & I have played together before as a part of Michael's 'swan song' to Chatham College - where he'd taught for many yrs. This bk is marvelous - very well researched - managing to be of good general interest as well as of good interest to ornithologists & musicians inspired by birdsong, etc, etc.. I've gotten the impression that this bk is popular (or at least by obscurantist standards) & that's just fine w/ me. David explores the subject of birdsong from as many different angles as there probably are: as analyzed, as incorporated into human music, as simulated in poetry, as explored by vivisectionists. W/o being highly technical, his approach to the subject is fairly exhaustive - any deeper reading wd require going to primary sources. Thank you, David, I love this bk. &, besides, it comes w/ a CD that both Michael & David play on - along w/ birds a'plenty - including a LYRE BIRD. What more cd ya ask for?!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why Birds Sing.

Started Reading