Jaslyn's Reviews > A Tale of Two Cities

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

F 50x66

did not like it

Normally I start these book reviews by doing a summary of what the book was about. But I’m not sure I know what this book was about. Something about England and France that seemed to revolve around a chick named Lucie Manette and her (somewhat slight NQR) relationship with her father who she rescued from a prison in…France? Then some guys fall in love with Lucie and she marries one, but I didn’t pick up which. There was an awful lady name Madame Defarge who seemed to maybe have something against the Manette family. And some dudes who got into a tussle with a guy and girl, was this a flashback before Dr Manette (Lucie’s Dad) went in goal? Is that how the Manette’s and whoever Lucie married were first tied together? Then her husband went to goal for reasons I’m still not sure about, and some guy who looked like him took his place in prison…

Ok so maybe I do remember some of the things that happened in the book, but it didn’t really make sense to me the whole way through. I was really tempted to just leave it and not finish it, but there’s nothing that irks me more than leaving a book unfinished. Perhaps the fact I listened to it as an audiobook didn’t help, but it was an awfully challenging book.

I’ll tell you what I didn’t mind though. It was the guy reading the audiobook, he did quite a few good voices and accents, though he was terrible at the ladies voices, that wasn’t unexpected.

All up, I didn’t really enjoy this book. It was far too challenging and confusing for me and even after reading it, I still don’t know what happens.

Read more on my blog.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Tale of Two Cities.

December 19, 2015 – Shelved