Diane's Reviews > Synthesis: Weave

Synthesis by Deane Saunders-Stowe

it was ok
bookshelves: science-fantasy, science-fiction

I debated for some time whether to round this 2.5-star read up to 3 ("I liked it"), but there just wasn't quite anything to tip the balance. TBH, I'm still debating; I may read the sequel when it comes out, and if I enjoy that one more, I'll probably go ahead and raise this one's rating, too.

● The writing is competent, but not particularly rich or graceful. At times, it felt a bit in need of more "Show, don't tell."
● The characters are developed, and pleasingly unusual choices for action/suspense heroes, but I didn't really care deeply about either/any of them (partly because it seemed like there was an awful lot of snappishness, especially at first, though that may just be me). The character I liked best, I won't reveal because spoilers.
● The plot/premise is creative and original, but convoluted -- and a bit metaphysical, which I'm not into. (I know, I was warned; I actually liked the way the boundaries between magic/faith and science/rationality are blurred/altered, but ...)
● Events are kind of hastily wound up before the end's lead-to-the-next twist.

In short, it feels like what it is: a first book from an author with potential.

Oh, and one more thing: there are far too many scenes that struck me as resembling the "heading into the dark basement alone while there's a killer on the loose" sort of rash foolishness you find in too much fiction, whether the writer has it work out for good or ill. They're even often out of communication, at times needlessly. Plus Sebastian doesn't ask nearly enough questions nor do enough prep/training in the beginning of his new job; while some reasons become clear later, it was hard to suspend disbelief re. SpecOps putting him in charge of an important investigation. The mystery aspect was part of what made me decide to give it a try (besides the low price for a full-length story), but Seb darts back and forth across the galaxy on the slimmest leads.

BTW, I notice in a couple other reviews that this book is sometimes listed as a M/M title. The two main characters are friends who care deeply about one another, but there's zero romance of any sort, at least so far. I don't know whether the author intends to go in that direction as the tale progresses in the next volume -- he states that Aryx was inspired by his own wheelchair-using life partner, and Seb recoils almost violently from the most innocuous signs of interest from a female -- but if you pick up this book expecting either sexy times or declarations of love, you'll be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Synthesis.

December 18, 2015 – Shelved
December 18, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
January 26, 2016 – Started Reading
January 28, 2016 – Shelved as: science-fantasy
January 28, 2016 – Shelved as: science-fiction
January 28, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Diane Deane wrote: "Some authors might think 'Oh, boo, I got a bad review,' but in my opinion this is the perfect sort of review for me: highly constructive, pointing out the things I probably need to work on whilst s..."
Well, this response shows me you're the kind of author I like to support, so I probably will try book 2 when it comes out.