Sarah's Reviews > Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Luster

F 50x66
Feb 10, 2011

it was ok
Read from February 09 to 11, 2011

It wasn't nearly as interesting as other analyses of consumer culture, and no one in this book comes off as sympathetic to me, save for the children in the counterfeit sweatshops. I feel that we're supposed to feel for the women who cried because another women showed up to a club in an identical counterfeit version of the Dior dress she had, and who remarked "This isn't comedy, it's tragedy," intensely out of touch and undeserving of our sympathy. I felt the description of the growing income disparity in India, China, and Russia, which have lead to enormous human suffering and rights violations, is most certainly presented as positive through the eyes of Luxury CEOs, but the passive glossing over of the flip side of that coin gives readers the impression that we should be ok with it, as well. The only human rights violations we're supposed to be discomforted by are in counterfeit shops.

I feel the claim that Cristal executives feeling uncomfortable with rappers consuming their products was racist, but it was presented as though it was a ludicrous thing to say. It was at least de facto racist - Cristal wants to be perceived as an old money brand, and due to slavery and institutional racism, there are probably very few black old money families in Western society.

I also felt nothing but derision for the owner of Daslu for being audited when she tossed out that the government ignores crime in the poorest parts of the country, where the majority of people possess 8% of the income. I don't think she's a bad person - she is a better provider for her help than most rich people would be - but it doesn't make her a good person, either. In all likelihood, her servants' children are still going to end up washing her childrens' underwear.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deluxe.