Allie's Reviews > Bread Givers

Bread Givers by Anzia Yezierska

liked it
bookshelves: jewish, american-experience, coming-of-age, realistic-fiction, young-adult

After being super pissed off through the first 140 pages of the father figure's tyranny, I began to have more patience for Bread Givers.

The most interesting thing was keeping in mind that it was not historical fiction but rather a semi-autobiographical novel published in 1925. So I think the reason that it is widely-read and -taught is that it had been a pioneer in English-language immigrant fiction. Tension between the Old World and the New, between generations--family vs. personal identity, obligation vs. freedom--these are all of the classic themes, acknowledged honestly and in very basic terms. The narrative is kind of melodramatic and repetitive (breathe, heart, & life are a few of the narrator's overused words :( ) with some (IMO) really nice pieces of prose in-between.

My favorite part is when Sara decides to go to college and to be an independent woman. She'd broken free of poverty and patriarchy! I was inspired. If only there had been more of this and less of the father, hahaha!

Even at the end, I still couldn't forgive him. The author tries to describe him as a man simply trapped in the Old World and really all together innocent, but it's clear from his actions that he's not. He is a hypocritical, delusional, selfish, greedy poser who wants tradition to justify how he shamelessly exploited all of the women in his family. I believe that this fact totally undermines his role as a representation of Jewish tradition, if that is his role as we discuss it in literature class. I mean, even when there is this message of moderation and drawing out the best in American-ness, there is not too much of that for Jewish-ness (at least in the areas of philosophy & religion) because the father just turned off his children to Judaism that badly.

Finally, I must say that I would have been in love with Bread Givers when I was ten years old. Even then, there are better children's/YA books out there, but this one can be valued for its authenticity and place in history.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bread Givers.

February 9, 2011 – Started Reading
February 9, 2011 – Shelved
February 9, 2011 – Shelved as: jewish
February 9, 2011 – Shelved as: american-experience
February 14, 2011 –
page 88
26.19% "This feels like a young adult book."
February 19, 2011 – Shelved as: coming-of-age