Graham Clements's Reviews > Death Most Definite

Death Most Definite by Trent Jamieson

Feb 09, 2011

Set in Brisbane (where I lived for five years so I was familiar with much of the settings), it's a horror novel with some wit. The reluctant hero Steve is a "pomp". The souls of the recently departed must pass through a pomp to travel to the afterlife. The trouble is, someone is killing all of Australia's pomps. What is worse, stirrers (angry murderess souls) are jumping into the bodies of anyone who dies and causing havoc. With the aid of the soul of a beautiful recently killed pomp, Steve has to discover who is killing the pomps and why, while preventing the stirrers from causing regional armageddon.

The novel is told in the first person, which I found refreshing. It is also full of witty dialogue. The world that the author has created is thoroughly believable. Tension is maintained throughout the novel which rarely has a quiet moment. And the novel reaches a very satisfying conclusion. It is not a nasty horror story, it is one told with a positive brightness. If you liked the television series Dead Like Me, you will probably like this.

A very enjoyable read. I will be buying the sequel.

Graham Clements.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death Most Definite.

February 9, 2011 – Started Reading
February 9, 2011 – Shelved
February 12, 2011 –
page 52
March 6, 2011 –
page 180
March 27, 2011 – Finished Reading

Kathryn Daugherty Just ordered this book from Amazon. Looking forward to reading it.