Tony's Reviews > Writings and Drawings

Writings and Drawings by James Thurber

Feb 09, 2011

bookshelves: fiction-mainstream

29. Thurber, James. WRITINGS AND DRAWINGS. (Various; this ed. 1996). *****. What would you do if you were presented with a 1,000 page collection of prose pieces and drawings by the 20th century’s master of the short humorous piece? You’d rejoice – of course! Here, collected by Garrison Keillor, are representative selections from most of his books and articles and lots and lots of his drawings. You can read essays from “Is Sex Necessary?” and “The Owl in the Attic.” You can smile as you leaf through the cartoons from “The Seal in the Bedroom.” You can grin at the surpise morals from “Fables for our Times.” Two essays from “The Thurber Carnival,” are included, along with “The 13 Clocks.” What also brought back memories were selected chapters from Thurber’s memoir, “The Years With Ross.” We get a chance to find out what he meant by many of his cartoons whose humor escaped even me when he tells us of his run-ins with Ross, the New Yorker publisher. All the classic pieces are here, and many that you probably won’t encounter anyshere else. For all its extraordinary length, it still reads quickly. You simply cannot put it down. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Writings and Drawings.