SaraJane's Reviews > Skinny Bitch Bun in the Oven: A Gutsy Guide to Becoming One Hot (and Healthy) Mother!

Skinny Bitch Bun in the Oven by Rory Freedman

Feb 09, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: babies

I think this book just wasn't really what I was looking for. I don't particularly care for the potty-mouthed tone of the Skinny Bitch book series, but I went ahead and bought this one anyway because at the moment there aren't any other books on vegan pregnancy. Sayward Rehbal is publishing one through Herbivore this spring that I think will probably be more of what I was hoping for with this one.

Here's the thing: this is a nutrition book for pregnancy, not an all-encompassing book about pregnancy. That's fine, and if you're one of those who is still eating animal products, this is a great, great, great book for you. However, I already knew the information found in over half of the book. The chapter on sugar and the sample menus were helpful. I also found some good info in a few of the shorter chapters at the back of the book.

I found the writing to be repetitive and a bit stale in places. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I get it. You've already mentioned thing x and thing y on over other page. Enough, already. I also think the authors seemed to be trying to hard with the wording in some places. I don't particularly want to read a pregnancy nutrition book full of cursing. Get over yourselves, already. I felt like it undermined some of the great information and facts found in the book. All of the sources are listed in the back of the book, so maybe it's a better idea to just read some things from the original source material so I don't feel like I'm listening to some educated, trailer park teenager.

If you're already vegan and looking for a book on pregnancy, you could probably get away with just flipping through one of these in the store or borrowing it from the library. If you're still an omnivore, then I definitely think you should read this. It won't feel like old hat to you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skinny Bitch Bun in the Oven.