Missy Jane's Reviews > Blaze

Blaze by Richard Bachman

Feb 09, 2011

A few years ago, before a friend introduced me to paranormal romance, horror and historical fiction were all I read. I was an avid Stephen King fan, buying up every new release the moment it hit the shelves and gulping down the pages in a few hours of frantic reading. It's been years since I cracked open a SK novel, though I've continued to purchase them. They've sat on my TBR pile patiently awaiting my return to the realm.
In January I decided to take up the Stephen King reading challenge for 2011. Blaze is the first book I've read to meet this challenge. So what did I think of it? Well, let me also note that Of Mice and Men is my all time favorite book...ever. Blaze reminded me why I have an entire bookshelf dedicated to Stephen King's novels. It reminded me that not all stories have a happy ending, nor do they have to to be great stories. It reminded me that Stephen King is a master story teller even without a clown, virus or supernatural enemy hiding in the woodwork.
Blaze took longer to read than the romance novels I've been inhaling for the past three years. At first I didn't know why I kept putting it down. The tragic life story of Clayton Blaisdell, Jr. gripped me from page one and held my imagination captive as the romantic in me yearned for him to find redemption. I wanted to know what would happen next but found every opportunity to stop reading from time to time. Why? As soon as I realized what I was doing I asked myself this question and found the answer. I've read nothing but varying genres of romance for the past three years with only a couple of breaks for other works. I've conditioned myself to expect a happily ever after ending at the end of every novel. Yet, I knew as soon as I read the blurb that Blaze would not end well. Regardless of the opportunities given to Blaze throughout the course of his life, I knew his ending would be tragic and heart breaking. As soon as I openly admitted this to myself I burned through the rest of the book.
It's a wonderfully written testament to the life and times of Blaze, Clayton Blaisdell, Jr, a man known to be a dummy after his father's abuse has tragic physical affects. The complexity of this character was surprising and very well written. I highly recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blaze.

February 9, 2011 – Started Reading
February 9, 2011 – Shelved
February 9, 2011 –
page 1
February 21, 2011 –
page 195
68.42% "Loving this book so far even though it's taking me longer to read than romances normally do. Does that say something about the writer or the reader?"
February 21, 2011 – Finished Reading